New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding a DNS Alias

SOLVED
Go to solution
davidmaristes
Visitor

Adding a DNS Alias

Hi,

Maybe it's very simple, but I can't find the solution in manuals... I need to work in a Windows Domain Controller using MSM760 WiFi controller. I need to resolve the DC name to an IP address. I can ping to the IP of the DC.

Any help would be apreciated. Thanks a lot.

4 REPLIES 4
RamKrish
Valued Contributor

I am not sure if i understood your query entirely, but on the controller side you cannot add any static hostname entries.  Controller resolves the Active Directory name using its pre-coded method (._tcp..etc).  All you need to do on the controller is to make sure you set the DNS server IP properly. Under Network --> DNS.

Once the DNS server is reachable, controller will figure out the Active Directory name based on your entries of NETBIOS, Windows domain ....etc on the Authentication --> Acive Directory.

Regards
Ram
davidmaristes
Visitor

Dear Ram,

Thanks a lot for your answer!

OK, understood DNS issue. The problem I want to solve and the reason of my query is this: I've already defined a DHCP service in my VSC in range 10.10.10.0/24. OK I want to join from my Wi-Fi network into a Windows 2008 R2 Domain Controller (+ DNS server) in cabled network 172.26.29.0/22.. I can ping to the server (172.26.29.2) from the Wi-Fi clients in network 10.10.10, but I can't ping from the DC server (172.26.29.2) to the Wi-Fi client (10.10.10).  I don't have any NAT mapping, and no RIP configuration in MSM760.

I don't want to authenticate to the DC server.

Do you know where is my error?

Thanks a lot.

RamKrish
Valued Contributor
Solution

I am assuming that you are using default INTERNET port on the controller to reach your destination on the wired network.  By default INTERNET port has NAT enabled, so whenever you ping from the 10.10.10.0/24 network (which is a private subnet for the MSM controller), it will work as INTERNET port is doing a NAT from inside to outside.

But when you ping from your DC (172.26.29.0/22) network, the return route must exist in your wired network (i.e. default gateway for the 172.26.29.0/22 network).  i.e a static route at least must exist on your L3 router/switch on the wired side pointing to the MSM controller for the 10.10.10.0/24 network. Eg: ip route 10.10.10.0/24 <ip address of the MSM-controller>.

This should help you to reach the 10.10.10.0 network from your DC subnet.

Regards
Ram
davidmaristes
Visitor

Dear Ram,

Everything you say is already done in my servers. There is a problem in the DNS definition on the MSM760. The solution I've found is to force in TCP/IP options in netbooks. So the IP address is given by MSM760 DHCP server, and the DNS is forced manually in each netbook, and everything works fine.

I'm not sure there is a solution. In case not, it's an important bug in MSM controller.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

David