1748019 Members
4319 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Broadcasting Multiple SSIDs

DRK
Occasional Advisor

Broadcasting Multiple SSIDs

IT would be nice if there was a 'general' section as my question may span legacy and newer APs. I currnetly have a pair of Procurve 420 APs set up on my network. I want to eliminate the linksys AP that I've been using for my open wireless that only gets to the internet, and only have the HP APs with two SSIDs using VLAN tagging. I Set one up and found that only the primary can broadcast the SSID due to the radio only having one MAC address. Not a HUGE deal, except my android devices don't seem to want to tag up to the secondary SSID, nor do my Windows 8 clients.

So that brings me to the main question that may span 'generations'. Are there ANY HP APs that are capable of having multiple SSIDs, all broadcasting and using VLAN Tagging? Related to that, are there any controller modules that can be used with the 5400zl switches to centralize the configuration?

2 REPLIES 2
Peter_Debruyne
Honored Contributor

Hi,

the is pretty old and was an OEM from Symbol I believe, with the single MAC as you mentioned, which caused a lot of devices to be confused.

In 2008 HP acquired Colubris, a dedicated wireless company, all these products are branded with "MSM" in the current portfolio.

All these APs (MSM3xx/MSM4xx) support 16 unique SSIDs (so they have 16 MACs per radio) and will give you a proper SSID to vlan mapping.

For the 5400, there is a controller, this is the MSM765zl module,

Best regards,Peter

DRK
Occasional Advisor

Awesome, thanks Peter. Guess I"ll look into getting a pair of the MSM APs to replace these 420s.