M and MSM Series
1751894 Members
5016 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSM 760 Access Controller with AD-authentication

Double-A

MSM 760 Access Controller with AD-authentication

I have a customer who has set up a VSC on a MSM 760 Access Controller to authenticate through Active Directory.  The purpose of this VSC is to give access to domain connected laptops without having to register passwords or WPA-keys.

This solution worked for a while but suddenly AD-authentication stopped working. We had to remove the VSC from the VSC profile list and add it back to make it work again. This was problematic but yet doable waiting for a new software update.

Since we raised the domain level to 2008 R2 no laptops can connect to this VSC at all. Upgrading to release 5.4.1 did not solve the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions what might be wrong?

4 REPLIES 4
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

what i know that 2008 R2 has some issues since Microsoft has changed things in the authentication scheme they have so it will not work, you can double check by contacting ProCurve support for that.

zengxibai
Occasional Visitor

any solution on this? I have a MSM710 access controller and a few MSM410 APs and would like to get it working with AD authentication for internal users.

My firmware is 5.3.5.61-01-8233

windows 2008 R2

thanks,

Steve

Patrick R
Frequent Advisor

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02858508/c02858508.pdf

Fixed issue  in the 5.5.2 firmware

RP ID: 57746

Active Directory 802.1x authentication does not work when used with Windows Server
2008-R2.

PR ID: 36881

Active Directory Server 2008 logs a warning message when the MSM7xx joins the
domain. However, it is still functional.
The warning begins with the following text. “The security of this directory server can be
significantly enhanced by configuring the server to reject SASL (Negotiate, Kerberos,
NTLM, or Digest) LDAP binds that do not request signing (integrity verification) and
LDAP simple binds that are performed on a cleartext (non-SSL/TLS-encrypted)
connection. ...”
For details, see: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=87923

zengxibai
Occasional Visitor

Can I directly upgrade firmware from 5.3.5 to 5.5.2? we only have one controller so I am a little concerned.

thanks,

Steve