1752861 Members
4440 Online
108790 Solutions
New Discussion

MSM720 separate DHCP servers for Guest and Internal VLAN´s

ChristianL1980
Occasional Contributor

MSM720 separate DHCP servers for Guest and Internal VLAN´s

We have MSM720 with teaming setup with a guest SSID and and internal SSID on different VLAN´s.

The clients connected to guest SSID need to receive DHCP address from a specific none MS DHCP server.

Clients connected to Internal SSID need to receive DHCP address from a MS DHCP server.

The clients connected to the internal SSID never expierience any problems with DHCP.

The clients connected to guest net is experiencing sporadic success with DHCP. Sometimes they get a DHCP address and sometimes they don´t. I have checked the none MS DHCP server and it is offering IP´s to the clients.

Maybe we have a misconfiguration of DHCP relay? 

I have just found out at that we have a DHCP relay server address configured directly on the "main" (Team->Network-> Address Allocation) settings of the teaming. Should this be removed as it is only one of ther DHCP server addresses?

I have just checked the VSC profiles and none of them have any DHCP server address configured. The guest net VSC profile have "DHCP relay option" enabled and also "Forward to egress interface".

Regards

Christian

2 REPLIES 2
MichaelRicardo
Frequent Advisor

Re: MSM720 separate DHCP servers for Guest and Internal VLAN´s

not really sure - how you implementaing guest wifi - best way to implement guests wifi and DHCP is to route guest traffic out to seperate firewall interface as tagged traffic to FW and let FW I/F to give out DHCP for guests.

RamKrish
Valued Contributor

Re: MSM720 separate DHCP servers for Guest and Internal VLAN´s

Hi When in Teaming, MSM controller do not support internal DHCP server function.  You have to use external DHCP server.

Also when in Teaming it is NOT recommended to use the default VSC profile  for GUEST network (1st profile on the left),  you are advised to create new VSC profile with DHCP setting --> Forward to EGRESS interface.

You can find the recommended settings for DHCP relay from the MSM configuration guide:  http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=3963981&docId=emr_na-c04868787&docLocale=en_US (Page 281 onwards).

Regards
Ram