5353 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

MSM765 - replacing harddisk

Jens Vesterdahl
Advisor

MSM765 - replacing harddisk

Hi all.

I have two MSM765 where one is kept in hot standby for the other one, which is my controller.
My standby unit has experienced a hard disk failure, so I have replaced the disk as per the instructions in the Installation and Getting Started Guide.

The problem is now that the standby unit does not have a firmware image loaded, so while I can boot into the service OS, I can't install the MSM765 application and boot into that.

I want the standby unit to be a clone of the main, and I'm running firmware version 5.7.1.0 with no particular reason to upgrade. I do have the firmware image, but when I try the CLI command to load the image from an USB stick onto the standby unit, it says the image is not signed and there is not certificate files. Which is true - I only have the actual image.

Then I figured I'd copy an image from the live controller to the USB stick, but apparently there is no CLI usb command on that module. Could that be because it's running the application? The CLI command set seems limited, even in the service context. Do I need to boot the main module into the service OS to be able to offload an application image, and does the image come with a certificate?

3 REPLIES 3
RamKrish
Valued Contributor

Re: MSM765 - replacing harddisk

Hi

If you have replaced the hardware (HDD), then couple of things to keep in mind:

1. Need to enter activation license (transfer from old serial/mac address to new serial/mac address)

2. Boot the controller to product os

If "show image" doesnt show any image then you should ask for another replacement to get the HDD preloaded with the MSM image.

You cannot upload the image via CLI if its not booted into product OS yet.

Regards
Ram
Jens Vesterdahl
Advisor

Thanks for the reply, but:

- The activation license is still there and activated. The MAC address doesn't change with the HDD, does it?
- The product OS seems to not be there, so I can't boot into it. Does this normally reside on the HDD or elsewhere?

... but do you mean that I should deactivate the license and activate it again on the same MAC address, so the controller "gets the sequence right"?

Or am I missing something completely?

RamKrish
Valued Contributor

Activation license is tied to the serial number.  If you do "show license" into the service OS mode, and it shows something like this:

Index  Feature Group     Value     Installed License Key (encoded)
-----  ----------------  --------  -------------------------------
0      activation            0     ********************

Then your activation License is NOT the problem.  This should allow you to run the command "boot product".

If the command doesnt run then its a good indication that the base product image is NOT in the hard disk.  So you have to request for a new HDD.

Regards
Ram