1745816 Members
3758 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Novice in need of help.

dan_0
Visitor

Novice in need of help.

Starting off with a little background, I've recently started a job doing tech support for a small private school whose previous tech admin left without much notice and hadn't communicated to anyone how things were setup. So I have an HP MSM760 access controller managing several wireless access points in the building that appear to be working fine. The only problem is that the previous tech admin never told anyone the wifi password before she left (well, she left a record of what the password was supposed to be yet it doesn't work, no matter how many times I have tried it in addition to possible misspelled versions). Anyhow, I just need to know how to either view or change the wifi password for the APs, which I'm assuming is done via a setting somewhere on the MSM's web interface or CLI. I've explored both the CLI and web interface and can't find any obvious way to view or change the wifi password on all the devices. It seems like it would be the pre-shared key on the page accessible via the left hand panel at Network Tree > Controller > VSCs > My_VSC, but I tried changing it and still couldn't connect to the APs wifi. So how exactly do I change/view the wifi password? Am I on the right track?

5 REPLIES 5
CraigS1971
Valued Contributor

Re: Novice in need of help.

Hi,

https:// community .hpe. com/t5/MSM-Series/MSM760-Password-Recovery/td-p/5797191

https://abouthpnetworking.com/2014/04/07/msm-password-reset-through-console/

Try these.

gkersten
Occasional Visitor

I think that the easiest way to determine the WIFI password in this case is to get it from a laptop that already has it.

In Windows:

• Right-click the WiFi symbol in the systray and select Open Network and Sharing Center.
  • Click Change adapter settings.
  • Right-click the WiFi adapter. ...
  • In the WiFi Status dialog, click Wireless Properties.
  • Click the Security tab and then check Show characters.
dan_0
Visitor

CraigS1971,

I already know how to reset the management password. I need to find out how to change the wifi password on the wireless access points that the msm access controller is managing.

dan_0
Visitor

gkersten,

Sadly the only devices that were connected to the network before the previous admin left were chromebooks and chromebooks need to be reset with developer mode in order to have the option to view the wifi password, and of course resetting to developer mode will delete everything on the device. Thanks google. 

dan_0
Visitor

So isn't there a way to change the passwords on the wireless access points via the access controller? That would be stupid if not seeing as how the device is supposed to manage them. Or can I at least log into an AP through the access controller?