M and MSM Series
1748168 Members
4071 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

OpenVPN packets marked with DSCP 56 - why, and how to change?

svhelden
Advisor

OpenVPN packets marked with DSCP 56 - why, and how to change?

We are going to implement VoIP and found that the bandwidth reserved for realtime traffic is completely used by OpenVPN packets between MSM access points and our MSM760 controller. These are marked with DSCP 56.

In the VSCs that utilize tunneling, we set "Priority Mechanism" to "Disabled" and disabled "Upstream Diffserv tagging". Still, nothing has changed. So, now our phones don't work because Guest Internet is transported in realtime class ...

What else can we do to change this setting?

3 REPLIES 3
JesseR
Regular Advisor

Re: OpenVPN packets marked with DSCP 56 - why, and how to change?

I'm not sure if you can change the port that the controllers use to communicate with the APs. That's probably not an adjustable setting. You'd have to call HP support to determine that. I'm curious of the answer however.
Jesse R
Source One Technology, Inc.
HP Partner

MSM 5.7.x deployment guide:

svhelden
Advisor

Sorry, I read your reply only now.

I don't have an issue with the PORT that is used. My problem is that the packets are marked with IP DSCP 56 which is CS7 and is treated high-priority / realtime traffic in most devices - and which is exactly what I do NOT want for the free guest network.

MSMenthousiast
Frequent Advisor

management traffic will always have a higher priority.

what you can try is to create a VSC only for your phones, lets call it Wireless-VoIP, and use QoS priority setting "VSC-based very-high". This was, your voip phones will always be high-priority.

Also, management traffic between APs and controller should not take lots of bandwidth. You should put your other VSC QoS to a lower setting.

thanks