M and MSM Series
1752421 Members
5669 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Throttling Connections with MSM760 and MSM422's...

SQLServant
Occasional Collector

Throttling Connections with MSM760 and MSM422's...

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, so please forgive me if I'm violating protocol or this is in a FAQ somewhere (that I've not found).  I have a high school  with approximately 700 WiFi client devices.  An MSM760 Access Controller configuring 28 MSM422 WAPs as pass-through devices.  I have attached simplified diagram of our installation.  Nothing fancy, no 802.1x, no Radius, no QoS, etc. 

In the VSCs, I have set a limit of 768 Kbps "Default User Data Rate" HOWEVER, an internet speedtest yields up to 15 Mbps!!!  What else must be configured to throttle the individual wifi-connected device data rate?  I have routed traffic through the MSM760 Controller (LAN->WAN) and confirmed the path via tracert, but regardless of the "Default User Data Rate" setting I configure, the actual through-put is orders of magnitude higher.  This, as you can imagine, creates frustration among faculty/students when just a handful individuals on YouTube can completely tap out ISP's 100 Mbps allocation.  Help???

4 REPLIES 4
JesseR
Regular Advisor

Which version of code? I know I have had issues with limiting the entire bandwidth for tunneled traffic when using Bandwidth Allocation under the controller's network settings (instead of limiting bandwidth per user, you limit the total amount tunneled through the controller). But that is broke is v6 code! I do have a WORKING fix for it though in a special POF build that tech support gave me, but to be honest, I haven't tested it with the way you're doing it (via default user data rates).

Jesse R
Source One Technology, Inc.
HP Partner

MSM 5.7.x deployment guide:

SQLServant
Occasional Collector

Hi Jesse,

Thanks for your response.  That's interesting about version 6.  Our MSM760 is running software version 6.3.0.0-15824 on hardware version B:48.   My preference is to throttle the individual connections (by VSC config) rather than overall device through-put.  I don't know what the "Default user data rates" is intended to do if not what I'm attempting.  If so, I don't know what other parameters need to be config'd to enable it.  At the moment, selected/configured or not, there is no change to available bandwidth to connected devices.  I also don't know if this is a controller issue or WAP/VSC config issue.  Where is it supposed to be pinching down the flow rate?  We have recently had an influx of iPads, and have discovered that 6 or 7 of them watching multi-media streams over a single WAP will tap it out to the point that other devices cannot even reach the domain controller to authenticate.

Lion-Heart
Occasional Advisor

Try creating account profile under account profile you can limits bandwidth and you need map profiles you ctreated to the user accounts

JesseR
Regular Advisor

Sorry for the late reply. I do know the 6.x code is buggy for any kind of bandwidth throttling. however, during my testing, its LESS buggy when using the Default User Rates option in the VSC -- though I believe in order to make it work with the buggy code you MAY have to make an adjustment to the Quality of Service from the default Diffserv mode to something like VSC - Normal. (play with it a bit and do back to back testing) .

I am running a proof of fix code from HP at my customers right now that are on 6.x where the bandwidth issues ARE fixed. If you need information about that fix, email me directly.
Jesse R
Source One Technology, Inc.
HP Partner

MSM 5.7.x deployment guide: