4442 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Which access point is best?

hpbon
Advisor

Which access point is best?

Having an MSM760.

I understand that Aruba access points can be used for this controller?

I need one for an environment with a lot of disturbant radios, but the needed range coverage is short.

Which one will be the best choice for this purpose? (b/g standard)

Regards, Lars.

4 REPLIES 4
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Regarding - "I understand that Aruba access points can be used for this controller?"

That is not my understanding.

I guess you could use the RADIUS server on the MSM as an external AUTH source for an IAP cluster or something "loose" like that.

If you want integrated Acees Points with an MSM Controller, MSM series Access points are your best bet (MSM460 for G/N and 560 for 11ac).

I would look into whether it would be worth going "controllerless" with some Aruba instant access points or IAP's as they are known. I find the IAP series are a doddle to manage in comparison with the VSC based setup on the MSM and the IAP has loads of added value with the Web filtering, Facebook Guest login, auto clustering for high availability under a "virtual controller" and VPN backhaul capability.

Kudos and Solved buttons tell others that posts are useful / helpful - don't be shy - get clicking

Thanks

Ian

Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
hpbon
Advisor

@Ian Vaughan wrote:

Hello,

Regarding - "I understand that Aruba access points can be used for this controller?"

That is not my understanding.

Really? A guy in a chat session on Arube HP wrote this.

But actually... maybe you are correct - a chaep Wifi Access point would be better in this case.

Regards, Lars.

Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Hello,

If you could eleborate as to what level of integration you were told that you could expect between MSM controller and Aruba AP I would be very interested.

As I said, I'd expect some "loose" integration (like usng one as AUTH for the other but that's just RADIUS) and it wouldn't have been surprising if there was upgrade route announced for MSM AP's to do something with Aruba controllers. However, if that was going to happen you would think that we would have seen something by now some 12+ months down the line.

MSM and Comware Wireless are still around to service the existing deployments. Happy to some more digging but Aruba IAP is my "go forward" choice of Access Point. 

thnaks

Ian

Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
johnk3r
Respected Contributor

Hello !

Aruba IAP technology will not communicate with the HP MSM. Soon the MSM solution should exist (my opinion and conversation with HP engineers)

I think you are confused with the Aruba management software called Airwave, this software can manage MSM controllers.

ATP FLEXNETWORK V3 | ACSA