1752749 Members
5019 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Concerns about elm

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Concerns about elm

Hi everyone, the lab would like your opinions about elm and the current support for MIME. As a note, early 10.20 and all revs before, elm had no features for MIME messages so the text was shown as plain ASCII. Starting with a patch for 10.20 and standard for 11.0 and 11i, elm has 'some' MIME awareness but requires Xwindows for certain messages.

The questions are:

- Do you use elm?
- If so, are you happy with the unpatched, non-MIME version or do you like the latest version of elm with the Xwindow capability?
- Is the current MIME support adequate? What is missing?
- Would you like to choose elm's behavior, ie, text for everything, or MIME support?

You can reply to me at: blh@atl.hp.com
and I'll forward it along.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
7 REPLIES 7
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: Concerns about elm

Personally, I prefer pine (pine is not elm) over elm, but then again I haven't used either in 6 years. Of course, here where I work, we had at one time over 200,000 openmail licenses (before license manager was available).

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Bill:

I rarely use the ineractive version of elm so I'm not very concerned about MIME itself; however, I do use the command line version many times per day. On the 10.20 versions, multiple attachments did not work properly until the MIME-enabled version of elm was released. My one concern is that the multiple attachments with proper encoding continue to work if the MIME support goes away.

Regards, Clay
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Rodney Hills
Honored Contributor

I use elm occasionaly for "text" based e-mails. If their are MIME attachments, I might use elm, to deal with them at a low level. I don't think I want to force elm to run under X-windows.

If I want to process them, I would forward the e-mail to a system that was MIME aware.

-- Rod Hills
There be dragons...

My 2 cents.
We use elm for sending log and script output to their respective admins. We use this method extensively. We still only need text, no MIME. I sure wouldn't desire to have this be changed.
Hope you're taking 'late' answers.
Thank you, Robin
Steven Sim Kok Leong
Honored Contributor

Hi,

In my environment, elm is only used for sending automated emails. Attachments are sent automated via sendmail/mailx instead.

Don't usually read or post email interactively from servers for that matter.

If I ever read cron output in root mail, I process /var/mail/root directly.

Hope this helps. Regards.

Steven Sim Kok Leong
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hello Bill,

even though I use gold old "elm" quite a lot from within TELNET-sessions and on ASCII-terminals, I do not long for any extensions at all (and I would be into deep trouble, if the keys would be changed, as I am typing *blind* there - and love it ;-)

Sometimes "old stuff" is just good the way it already is!

Regards,
Wodisch
Mark van Hassel
Respected Contributor

Hi Bill,

I do use elm on a reguar basis for the standard messages from cron and EMS. Therefor for me only the text version will do.
The surest sign that life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us