5457 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Email messages not delivering

Frank Sam
Occasional Advisor

Email messages not delivering

this is my /var/adm/syslog/mail.log file entry

Sep 10 09:39:34 testserver sendmail[10759]: NOQUEUE: PC.DOMAIN.COM [133.22.12.69] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA
5 REPLIES 5
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Please check these points:

* Is sendmail running in daemon mode, listening to port 25 ?

if your answer is yes

* do you really need this server to receive email ?

if your answer is yes

* Is the IP address 133.22.12.69 is not local to your internal network ?

I think you've got the point I am going to. If this is not a local address, there might be some external entity trying to find a vulnerability in your sendmail server.

If you do not need to receive email from external resources on this server, my first advice to you is to stop the sendmail process from listening to port 25.

On the other hand, the reason why you are seeing this message is most probably this IP address connected to your sendmail process (for the lack of a better term) but did not issue an initial command your server was expecting. There is not much you can do about it, as long as the mail server is listening and such connections are incoming. You should really consider the need for sendmail process listening on this server.

On the other hand, after I click on submit, I have looked at your message subject and it sounds like you have problem with your messages being delivered to outside. Is this rihgt ? If so, do you have your smart relay server configured ? Have you ever been able send email out at one time and can not do it right now ?

Please elaborate what problem you are trying to resolve in a bit more details here.

Hi,

I am having problem delivering outgoing messages(to an email_printer).

i have an email address as a printer so that i can sent reports etc to the email address

133.22.12.69 is my pc ip which i am using to ssh into the server.

a successful message transfer should give this output.

Sep 10 09:57:47 prodserver sendmail[8403]: n8AEvkd08401: to=user@domain.com, ctladdr=lp (9/7), delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=esmtp, pri=122844, relay=mx.domain.com [133.22.2.6], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (ok: Message 846446223 accepted)

i believe this is an issue with the relay configuration.

could you advice how i can verify it.

Thank You.
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Let's start with showing the output of this command:

grep ^DS /etc/mail/sendmail.cf

it is better if you can give the output from this server and another server which is known to be working in a way that you need.

Hi Mel,

Both the severs give out the output :

DS