108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Email port....

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kathleen
Regular Advisor

Email port....

On a unix machine running openmail....I am assuming the port that mail uses is 25. Is that correct? The port would be related to sendmail. I just need someone confirm what I think I know:) Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: Email port....

Hi:

Look in 'etc/services' and you will note:

smtp 25/tcp # Simple Mail Transfer Protocol

Regards!

...JRF...
Jim Mallett
Honored Contributor

Kathleen,

Yes, port 25 is used by Sendmail (SMTP).

Jim
Hindsight is 20/20
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

While it is certainly true that SMTP uses port 25, OpenMail also uses other ports:

openmail 5729/tcp Openmail User Agent Layer
openmailg 5755/tcp OpenMail Desk Gateway server
x500ms 5757/tcp OpenMail X.500 Directory Server
openmailns 5766/tcp OpenMail NewMail Server
s-openmail 5767/tcp OpenMail Suer Agent Layer (Secure)
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Kathleen
Regular Advisor

so if we open any type of port on our firewall for mail to flow from the outside, into our email server (we are bringing the mail server inside out network) would we have to open ports on the firewall for all the openmail ports too? Probably not, right?
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

My best guess is that poer 25 would suffice but, of course, the real answer is to test and see if you loose any functionality with the 57xx ports closed down to the outside world.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Jim Mallett
Honored Contributor

Sorry about my first answer being incomplete, Clay is right about the additional ports.

If your users are accessing the mail from outside the firewall, you'll probably find that you'll have to open up one or more of those ports for them to use the interface.

Port 25 will handle the mail delivery but the specific access to that software, those mailboxes will likely be handled by the additional ports.

Jim
Hindsight is 20/20