Simpler Navigation coming for Servers and Operating Systems
Coming soon: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We will combine many of the older boards, and you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. If you are looking for an older board and do not find it, check the consolidated boards, as the posts are still there.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP-UX mail file management

Ken Englander
Regular Advisor

HP-UX mail file management

Is there a way to compress wasted space out of a mail file. This is on HP-UX 11i v3. The root mail file unintentionally accumulated over 3,000 messages from batch jobs with no output file. I managed to delete the messages but I think the file is still much bigger than it needs to be.

Thanks!
5 REPLIES
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: HP-UX mail file management

Remove the file. It will be recreated if/when needed.
Ken Englander
Regular Advisor

I cannot remove it - there are still messages in it. However, that is good to know - thanks!
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

You can simply zero it out with:

cat /dev/null > /var/mail/root

If you need selected messages, running elm to browse through 3000 messages is quite fast and you can hold down the d key to delete the messages, about 10-20 per second. If you get to the end and discover some old messages you want to keep, just roll up/down and undo the deletion.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Ken Englander
Regular Advisor

Apparently the remaining e-mails were a good deal bigger than I expected. I found out there were no e-mails needed so I was able to eliminate all of them and the files went back to 0.

I guess they automatically resize when e-mails are deleted - I just did not expect the e-mails were so big!

Thanks all!
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

You could use mailx to browse it. You can delete ranges with it.
from(1) will give you a list of subjects.