108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: More then 1 domain on sendmail ..

SOLVED
Go to solution
Christopher Caldwell
Honored Contributor

No more or less secure than 1 domain on 1 IP given that the host is initially secure.

Most of the our mail problems on the general Internet are caused by our customers who violate our AUP and send SPAM, or SPAM/UCE sent by folks on the Internet at large to our mail servers.

We've actually been able to use sendmail to help with security if you can believe that. You can configure sendmail to filter well known viruses based on e-mail subject, to address, from address, etc.
Christopher Caldwell
Honored Contributor

BTW, in sendmail.cf, there's some other commented rulesets for virtuser:

Uncomment the following:
SParse1
# handle virtual users
R$+ < @ $=w . > $: < $(virtuser $1 @ $2 $@ $1 $: @ $) > $1 < @ $2 . >
R<@> $+ + $* < @ $* . >
$: < $(virtuser $1 + * @ $3 $@ $1 $: @ $) > $1 + $2 < @
$3 . >
R<@> $+ + $* < @ $* . >
$: < $(virtuser $1 @ $3 $@ $1 $: @ $) > $1 + $2 < @ $3 .
>
R<@> $+ < @ $+ . > $: < $(virtuser @ $2 $@ $1 $: @ $) > $1 < @ $2 . >
R<@> $+ $: $1
R< error : $- $+ > $* $#error $@ $( dequote $1 $) $: $2
R< $+ > $+ < @ $+ > $: $>97 $1
someone_4
Honored Contributor

What about passwords for the users?
I have it set up in the .cw file and it works.
But my users and passwords are in the actull unix box that I added though sam. Where do you have your usernames and passwords stored that sendmail reads and lets the user get that mail file. user1@thisdomain.com and user1@thatdomain.com have 2 differnt passwords. Where are the passwords stored?
Christopher Caldwell
Honored Contributor

In /etc/mail/virtusertable

case 1
joe@joe.com joe
joe is a valid unix account on localhost.

case 2
fred@fred.com fred@mailhandler.fred.com
fred is now either a valid entry on the host mailhandler.fred.com or it's another virtusertable entry on the host mailhandler.fred.com.
Dave Kelly_1
Respected Contributor

Looking back at your previous messages in the forum, it looks like you want your users to retrieve their messages using a client like Outlook Express.

If this is the case, you obviously have a POP3 daemon running on the mail server. HP, as standard, does not supply a POP3 daemon.

Passwords to mailboxes are handled by the POP3 daemon so I would consult your documentation to see if multiple domains can be handled. If they can, they are likely to indicate how they need messages to be stored.
someone_4
Honored Contributor

yes I am using an outlook client.
and I am running pop3 qpoppper.
someone_4
Honored Contributor

I got this working ..2 domains on 1 mail server. And getting emails from outlook.
But it seems to me that we are assumming that
user@domain1.net does not know he can get his mail from user@domain2.net too .
Dave Kelly_1
Respected Contributor

That is correct. Unless qpopper has any documentation for this, there is nothing that sendmail can do.
Christopher Caldwell
Honored Contributor

Here's your POP3 config:
POP account:
username@validaddressforpophost.com

This address must look up and return an A record:
# nslookup validaddressforpophost.com
A.B.C.D

SMTP:
validaddressforsmtphost.com
This address must look up and return an A record:
# nslookup validaddressforsmtphost.com
A.B.C.D

REPLY TO:
you@vanitydomain.com
vanitydomain.com should have an MX record that points to validaddressforsmtphost.com

Feel free to add all the vanity you want for POP host and SMTP host. It adds to configuration, but it's perfectly acceptable if not preferable.

The only thing you really need is the vanity replyto address in the POP3 client.
someone_4
Honored Contributor

Ok ,
from all I have read and that we have talked about today. As of right now. I have
mydomain1.com and mydomain2.com both going to the same sendmail server both going to 1 IP. I added the 2nd domain in the .cw file. And everything works now. But the issue that I am still at a loss of is to have 2 users with the same username but differnt domains get and send emails. But this is step one in my quest to get where I am.