108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: More then 1 domain on sendmail ..

SOLVED
Go to solution
Christopher Caldwell
Honored Contributor

When dealing with the virt stuff, it's important to distinguish between Unix accounts and e-mail accounts

- in general, expect Unix accounts to be unique
- e-mail accounts are unique with a domain

Thus, in the virtusertable
joe@domain1.com joe
says deliver mail bound for joe@domain1.com to the local Unix account joe. The POP account used to check joe@domain1.com is the same as the Unix account (joe).

joe@domain2.com fred
says delvier mail bound for joe@domain2.com to the local Unix account fred. The POP account for used to check joe@domain2.com is the same as the Unix account (fred).

For the purposes of this discussion, Unix accounts fred and joe must be unique on a given host. E-mail accounts
joe@domain1.com
and
joe@domain2.com
must be unique within the domain.
someone_4
Honored Contributor

Yes that is right. After playing with it I came to that conclusion. But I still cant get virtusertable to work
Christopher Caldwell
Honored Contributor

To get virtusertable to work ...

There are two rulesets referenced in earlier posts. You must uncomment both. It suffices to say that if you edit sendmail.cf and search for virt, you'll find it (and associated rulesets) in two distinctly different places in sendmail.cf. Uncomment all of the stuff associated with virt. Restart sendmail.

Make a file called virtusertable in /etc/mail (watch permissions or sendmail will complain). In the file,
I put
e-mail@addr.com [tab][tab]destination

Use the makemap command referenced earlier to build the database. (Again, watch perms).

It should work then.

To T/S - look at /var/adm/syslog/mail.log to see if sendmail is fussing about perms or configurations.
Make sure the MX/DNS stuff works correctly on the local host using nslookup.
someone_4
Honored Contributor

That was it .. it was a premissions problem on the virtusertbale.