1752795 Members
5933 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Openmail and linked applications

Kathleen
Regular Advisor

Openmail and linked applications

A user would like to be able to double click on an attachment and have it open into the proper application to view the attachment. I have found ways to get the Netscape to open for an HTML attachment, and Word for a .doc but I am having trouble with a few and was looking for help.

They are .vbs files (visual basic)
Microsoft Mail Message Data (not sure the code for the file type or what to open the file into)
Virtual Card File (.vcf)

Any help that can be offered would be GREAT!
7 REPLIES 7
Paul R. Dittrich
Esteemed Contributor

Allowing .VBS attachments is very risky.
Allowing users to double-click them is worse.

Just my $.02

Paul
Robin Wakefield
Honored Contributor

What client are you using?

Robin.
Kathleen
Regular Advisor

Sorry. I guess that is an important part to leave out. Omgui 6.0 is the client, Openmail server application is 5.10
Robin Wakefield
Honored Contributor

Is it the Unix or NT version of omgui. If Unix, not sure you can do it without some special Unix-viewer. If NT, what happens when you double-click the attachment?

Robin.
Dave Kelly_1
Respected Contributor

Linked Applications are described in the help file for the PC omgui:

Linked Applications

You can configure other applications, such as word processors or graphics packages, to be used with the OpenMail Client. This enables you
to use your preferred applications from within the Client.

For example, you can create an item within the Client with your usual word processor instead of the Client's editor. You can then drop the new
item onto the Out Tray, add the distribution list, and mail it. When you receive an item from a linked application in a message, you can
double-click on the title to open it, then read or edit it within its own application.
To see if you have any linked applications, choose New Item (File menu). A list of item types is displayed. Any types other than folder, text,
distribution list, or bulletin board belong to linked applications.
You can set up new linked applications by modifying the OMGUI.INI configuration file.
You can already start most Windows applications by double-clicking on the title of an item, in the same way as you can in the Windows File
Manager. This is done via the Windows registration database, not the OMGUI.INI file. However, if you also wish to be able to create new items
within the Client, you must add an entry for the application in the OMGUI.INI file.

To create linked application items

You create these items in the same way as OpenMail Client items. Opening the new item starts up the application.

To send linked application items

You can send these items in the same way as OpenMail Client items.
If, however, your recipients do not have the application with which you created an item, you may wish to set parts conversion to Yes in
Message Settings (Addressing menu). The receiving OpenMail server will then attempt to convert the file to a text form that the recipient can
read if a suitable converter is installed on the server. Note that any non-text information may be lost.

To read or edit linked application items

When you receive items from linked applications in messages, only the title, creator, and type are listed. Double-click on the title to open the
item. You can then read or edit the item within its own application.
If you edit the item, you will be prompted to save the changes to the mail server.

Kathleen
Regular Advisor

UNIX is the version.....I was looking for specific file type codes and applications to open into for the file types I listed. I found the omgui.typ file to enter the info into the omgui.ini file but didn't know what application to link the microsoft message with, or how to open the card file. Thanks for all of the suggestions so far.
Dave Kelly_1
Respected Contributor

The only reason to open a .vbs attachment on a Unix box is to view it. You should select a text editor such as dtpad.

Don't bother opening the Microsoft Mail Message Data attachment as it is a Microsoft binary format that contains the MAPI properties for the message. There is no text information (other than a few strings) that can be read from the attachment. It is only of use to Microsoft clients such as Outlook.

You can view a .vcf file with either a text editor or through a web browser.