Operating System - HP-UX
1753765 Members
5626 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Sending e-mail with zip file attachment via mailx to Outlook

Linda Stowell

Sending e-mail with zip file attachment via mailx to Outlook

I need to send a mail file with several attachments from HP UX to Outlook. The problem is that we have a 5mb limit on the size of the attachments. Since one file is 7mb, I am trying to use tar to zip and compress the files and then using mailx to send this file to Outlook. I get the e-mail but the zipped file is not-readable with winzip. Below are the commands that I am using. Is it possible to read with winzip a file that was zipped with tar on Unix? Has anyone had any luck with this?

Thanks for the help.

tar cvf - BRKRCM.*.csv | compress > $ZIPFILE
uuencode $ZIPFILE $ZIPFILE | mailx -m -s "EPM Broker Commission CSV File"
15 REPLIES 15
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Re: Sending e-mail with zip file attachment via mailx to Outlook

I don't know if this will help - but try using mpack to send the file instead:

http://hpux.ee.ualberta.ca/hppd/hpux/Users/mpack-1.6/

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Doug O'Leary
Honored Contributor

Hey;

You also might try gzip instead of compress. I've *generally* gotten better compression from gzip than from compress...

HTH;

Doug

------
Senior UNIX Admin
O'Leary Computers Inc
linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/dkoleary
Resume: http://www.olearycomputers.com/resume.html
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

bzip2 has even better compression ratio.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Sandman!
Honored Contributor

Linda,

You're not specifying an output file for the tar command "-" is for stdin not stdout. Might help breaking up the command line:

# tar cvf BRKRCM.*.csv
# compress
# uuencode | mailx -m -s "EPM Broker Commission CSV File"

cheers!
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

There's nothing wrong with the command line she's using. Tar sending to stdout piped to stdin of compress with it's stdout redirected to a file. Just the way it's all supposed to behave. If she wanted to, she could even put the whole thing on a singel command line by piping stdout from compress into uuencode like this:

tar cvf - BRKRCM.*.csv | compress | uuencode $ZIPFILE | mailx -m -s "EPM Broker Commission CSV File"

As for WinZip handling compressed (Z) and tar archives, I've never had a problem. It's handled those formats for years and numerous versions.

Getting things to show up on the other end can be tricky, however. I think I've sent to Outlook clients before without the -m option on mailx.
--
Jeff Traigle
Sandman!
Honored Contributor

For Jeff...I'm unable to make your command work so the suggestion to break it up (easier to debug)?
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

Don't know. Works fine for me.

Linda, I don't have a way to test with Outlook and WinZIP, but, if the attachment is showing up in Outlook all right, you might try 7-Zip as an alternative to WinZIP to see if that handles the file any better. Free software and it seemed to work fine on my little test case I ran.

www.7-zip.org
--
Jeff Traigle
Linda Stowell

I figured out my problem. The file that I used the tar command on didn't have .tar extension which caused confusion with winzip. As soon as I renamed it to a .tar, winzip worked. However I couldn't get compress to work but I did get gzip to work for me. Below is what I ended up with. I had to rename the gzip file to have a .gzip extension because it wouldn't open in Outlook with the .gz extension (it actually made the contents of the file the body of the e-mail message).

Thanks for everyone's help.

tar cvf BRKRCM.tar BRKRCM.*.csv

gzip BRKRCM.tar

cp BRKRCM.tar.gz BRKRCM.tar.gzip

uuencode BRKRCM.tar.gzip BRKRCM.tar.gzip | mailx -m -s "EPM Broker Commission CSV File"
Sandman!
Honored Contributor

Linda,

I used the same commands w/o renaming the "gz" file to "gzip" and WinZip had no problems opening them.

# tar cvf BRKRCM.tar BRKRCM.*.csv; gzip BRKRCM.tar
# uuencode BRKRCM.tar.gz BRKRCM.tar.gz | mailx -m -s "EPM Broker Commission CSV File"

my 2 cents!