1752695 Members
5348 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Sendmail Error

Colin_4
Occasional Contributor

Sendmail Error

I try to set relay for sendmail on hp B.11.00. But after I changed the sendmail.cf and hosts files and restart the sendmail by running /sbin/init.d/sendmail start, it gives me this error message:

#Mar 2 17:48:07 host1 sendmail[17962]: unable to qualify my own domain name (host1) -- using short name
Mar 2 17:48:07 host1 sendmail[17969]: unable to qualify my own domain name (host1) -- using short name

I didn't set dns or nis in my nsswitch.conf. All are to read /etc/hosts.

Also, this error message will show up on all the terminals telnetting to this machine. Can I redirect this error message to somewhere else when I am doing this kind of tuning stuff?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Colin
4 REPLIES 4
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: Sendmail Error

Ther is a new file needed for sendmail: /etc/mail/sendmail.cw which needs a list of all the names by which this host will be known. Typically this will be something like:

bambam
bambam.atl
bambam.atl.hp.com

If the machine was known by another name in the past, you can add those. Be sure to restart sendmail once this file is created.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Vincenzo Restuccia
Honored Contributor

In /etc/hosts add an alias hostname.my_domaine.com.
Shannon Petry
Honored Contributor

You can also manually set $j in the sendmail.cf file. It is one of the first configuration lines. There is a nice example right above it which explains what the "j" macro does, and how to make sendmail not complain about domain names.

Regards,
Shannon
Microsoft. When do you want a virus today?
Mark Mitchell
Trusted Contributor

I set the domain name for the server by adding a .hostname in the /etc/hosts file.

198.20.1.43 hostname .hostname

Also if there is a domain server you might need to create a file in etc called resolv.conf with an entry like this
domain name.com
nameserver 198.20.1.50