4685 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Sendmail not working

Wamaitha
Frequent Advisor

Sendmail not working

Hello,
i have not been able to get sendmail to work with from the command or using the GUI (CDE).
i have looked through the other threads for sendmail and i have not found a solution. I have verified /etc/hosts; /etc/resolv.conf; /etc/nsswitch.dns are set correctly. Attached is the mail.log. Named and domain have been changed.
Thanks on advnace.
10 REPLIES 10
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Sendmail not working

As the message says, your mail relay is refusing the connection. you nned to speak to person who manages it.

cable.comcast.com.
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
someone_4
Honored Contributor

I dont think comcast will let you use their mailserver as a relay.

Richard
Wamaitha
Frequent Advisor

i do not understand. why would they not let me use them as the relay. I am sending an e-mail to myself on a server within the network. please clarify
thanks in advance
someone_4
Honored Contributor

How are you sending that email?

Richard
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

You need to find out from comcast which server to forward email to from your workstation.

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Wamaitha
Frequent Advisor

i am logged into the server, and using cde to send mail and also tried using mailx.
want to begin receiving messages when a sudo is used and when a user attempts to perform a command that their user profile does not have permission to.
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Let us back up a bit...

First, /etc/nsswitch.dns is a template - you need to verify /etc/nsswitch.conf

Second, do you have a smart relay configured i sendmail?

grep DS /etc/mail/sendmail.cf |grep -v "#"

Is comcast your Internet provider?

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Wamaitha
Frequent Advisor

Geoff,
comcast is the company i work for.
the output for the grep is DS.
i have verified the /etc/nsswithc.conf
with hosts --- i have files and dns.
sorry for the confusion.
thank you
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Okay then - that will be easy - just ask your email admins for the name of your internal mail server.

Then vi /etc/mail/sendmail.cf

DSyouremailserver.yourinternaldomain.name

stop/restart sendmail

/sbin/init.d/sendmail stop

/sbin/init.d/sendmail start

You may also need to set the DM macro if your internal domain is different then external:

DMcomcast.com

Rgds...Geoff