108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Sendmail relay for one outside user

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kathleen
Regular Advisor

Sendmail relay for one outside user

I want to allow one outside consultant to use our email system to relay mail outside our network.....how do I get that setup?

I tried adding him to the access list with RELAY allowed...using his email address. I can test using telnet mailserver.com 25 and putting his address as the sender. So far it likes that. Then I do the send to option and it says Relaying denied. If I do it to a local address on the email server, its ok. If I try to send outside, it says that. how do I allow it for this one user.
11 REPLIES 11
Kevin Wright
Honored Contributor

add the domain or his IP address to /etc/mail/relay-domains, uncomment the line out of sendmail.cf, and restart sendmail
Tim Adamson_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

What version of sendmail are you running? I believe it should be possible with the later versions of sendmail and most likely you will need to setup an access db.

The file /usr/newconfig/etc/mail/cf/cf/gen_cf shows the various relay options.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift. That's why it's called the present.
Jim Mallett
Honored Contributor

Is your mail server something like Exchange? Controlled a different administrator? It is possible that he has relaying turned off on your mail server. In my case, our Network Admin locked down the Exchange server so people could not relay from the outside and use our server to spam. I just had him add my internal IP addresses to the acceptable relay list and I was able to get beyond the mail server to outside addresses.
From there, follow the previous posts to limit relaying on your machine to a particular user. Just a thought.....

Jim
Hindsight is 20/20
Kathleen
Regular Advisor

We do use sendmail. I have the person listed in the access list but it seems like it is ok with him sending...until he sends out of our network.

I know sendmail is configured to not allow relaying....but is it possible to allow it for this one user....
someone_4
Honored Contributor

Hi try one of theese in your access file.

Connect:user@domain.com OK

user@domain.com OK

user@domain.com RELAY

Dont forget to recreate your access file.

makemap dbm /etc/mail/access < /etc/mail/access

Richard
Kevin Wright
Honored Contributor

Well, if your using a newer version, add the names to the access map as relay, and uncomment out relay_mail_from in sendmail.cf, or rebuild it with
FEATURE(`relay_mail_from') in your mc file
Kathleen
Regular Advisor

We are using sendmail 8.9.3.1....I don't see relay_mail_from as an option in the sendmail.cf file.
someone_4
Honored Contributor

hi
first backup your orginal sendmail.cf file in the /etc/mail dir

cp sendmail.cf sendmail.cf.back

cd /usr/newconfig/etc/mail/cf/cf
./gen_cf

This will give you a menu to create a new sendmail.cf.gen

pick option 2 and option 6

from here you mv sendmail.cf.gen to /etc/mail/sendmail.cf

mv sendmail.cf.gen /etc/mail/sendmail.cf

You should see the access.db

Richard
Kathleen
Regular Advisor

I have the access file....I just don't see that other option in the sendmail.cf file.....should I still do the rebuild?