3350 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unable to start send mail process on my machine

NathanBabu
Advisor

Unable to start send mail process on my machine

Dear All,

I"m unable to start my sendmail on my HP UX system.

I receive the following error when i start... 

local_host :# /sbin/init.d/sendmail start
Starting sendmail [Done]
No local mailer defined
QueueDirectory (Q) option must be set
Unable to start sm-client

For more information see /var/adm/syslog/mail.log

Please assist... 

Regards,

Nathan

3 REPLIES 3
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

>>For more information see /var/adm/syslog/mail.log

Please share the contents of the /var/adm/syslog/mail.log file from when you tried starting sendmail.  There are very likely some messages there that will be useful.

NathanBabu
Advisor

Hello,

Thank you for your reply... Here i past the error messages.

Dec 12 12:04:21 uxserver sendmail[18967]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): No local mailer defined
Dec 12 12:04:21 uxserver sendmail[18967]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): QueueDirectory (Q) option must be set
Dec 12 14:25:27 uxserver sendmail[17004]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): No local mailer defined
Dec 12 14:25:27 uxserver sendmail[17004]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): QueueDirectory (Q) option must be set
Dec 12 15:51:48 uxserver sendmail[4024]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): No local mailer defined
Dec 12 15:51:48 uxserver sendmail[4024]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): QueueDirectory (Q) option must be set

Regards,

Nathan

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

> Starting sendmail [Done]
> No local mailer defined
> QueueDirectory (Q) option must be set
> Unable to start sm-client

The error messages look like the main sendmail process might actually have started successfully, and the problem might be with the sm-client. This is a second copy of sendmail, running a different configuration file and a limited set of privileges. This is a relatively new feature in sendmail which should fundamentally improve its security by separating the parts that need root access from the parts that need to deal with unchecked user-submitted data that might include security exploits for sendmail.

What is your HP-UX version? Have you installed any of the optional Sendmail upgrades available at software.hp.com? If you have, have you read the installation instructions? Did this work before, and what changes have been made to the system since then?

The sm-client has a separate configuration file: /etc/mail/submit.cf. It is normally created automatically by the /sbin/init.d/sendmail script if it does not exist and is needed. Perhaps something is causing the submit.cf creation to fail? Is your root or /tmp filesystem 100% full?

MK