Operating System - HP-UX
1752781 Members
5691 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: .forward in hp-ux sendmail to Exchange 2003?

Jeff Souter
Frequent Advisor

.forward in hp-ux sendmail to Exchange 2003?

Is it possible to use a forward file in a users mailbox to forward mail to a test exchange server with the same email domain name on the same network?

Sorry if this is abit sketchy i'm not sure how to best word this.
4 REPLIES 4
Keith Johnson
Valued Contributor

If I'm understanding what you're asking, yes it is possible. However, you may want to consider putting an entry into the /etc/mail/aliases file instead of using a .forward file.

KJ
No matter where you go...there you are.
Yang Qin_1
Honored Contributor

You need to create .forward in $HOME or user home directory. Inside .forward file, simply put a email account configured in your exchange (no matter whos account as long as you can check it with outlook or whatever connected to exchange).

Domain name or intranet, internet should not stop you to forward the message from HP-UX to exchange. Of course, both HP-UX sendmail and MS exchange has to be configured correctly.
Jeff Souter
Frequent Advisor

Hello
Thx for the responce, don't think i can do that as the the domains are the same and it would get into a loop surely?

eg test@company.com is our nclasses mail domain and our exchange also has a user called test@company.com.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Well, the test@domain.com is resolved by DNS into an IP address (or more accurately, an MX record for sendmail) so nslookup for the domain address will show up just one address. (hint: nslookup -type=mx domain.com) Your local machine is actually cpu.domain.com and the test exchange server would require a DNS (and MX record) of test.domain.com -- otherwise, there would be no way to differentiate between them. Hopefully you're referring to Internet style domain names and not PC server domains. You can always specify the IP address of the test server rather than the symbolic name.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin