Operating System - HP-UX
1752513 Members
5749 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: mutiple LANs in one subnet suppport?

SOLVED
Go to solution
apichart
Advisor

mutiple LANs in one subnet suppport?

As I know, the multiple LANs connections to the same subnet is not supported by HP. It's still not clear to me. Can anybody clarify me?
1) Multiple LANs ports(in the same LANS card) in subnet, support by HP?
2) Mutiple LANs ports ( in the different LANs card) >>> Not supported as I know.
3) Mutiple IP addresses in single LANs interface.( definitely all IPs have to be in the same subnet ) >>> why it's supported without auto port aggregation.
8 REPLIES 8
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

1. Multiple lanports on the same card?. Are you talking about combocards such as 4-port lan card ?. If so, it's not really the card that decides but the interface. Now whether it is supported or not - I have not seen any document by HP that they say they officially support it though you can see it work atleast on 11.0 onwards. However, you may not expect desired results. For ex., If you want to send the traffic through lanx, you may not as the routing is dependent on the order at which the interface appears in the 'netstat' output. If your intention is to loadbalancing or a kind if failover configuration, then I suggest you use 'AutoPortAggregation' software.

2. Same above as it depends on the interface not the card.

3. It is supported as the interface is not a physical interface but a logical interface. like 'lan0:1' etc.,. BTW, if your network supports it, you don't need to have all the IP addresses in the same subnet on that physical interface.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
apichart
Advisor

interface = port?
I have 2 LANs cards with 4 port on each. In this case. any port on cards can not be in the same subnet. right?
Victor Fridyev
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You can't assign two IPs in the same subnet to different controllers, because impossible to define which interface must send packages to another subnet.

If you have a multiport network card, this only means that some lan contrllers are packed into one body, there is not any difference between one 4-port and 4 single port cards.

HTH
Entities are not to be multiplied beyond necessity - RTFM
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You are right. Each port on the card is an interface. And it doesn't matter if it is on the same card or or on a different card.

I don't say it 'cannot'. I say it's better you use softwares like APA or ServiceGuard if you are planning to use the other interface in the same subnet. I have not seen HP saying that they support it officially atleast in the same tone as of the logical interface.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Tim D Fulford
Honored Contributor

> 1) Multiple LANs ports(in the same LANS
> card) in subnet, support by HP?
Not supported

> 3) Mutiple IP addresses in single LANs
> interface.( definitely all IPs have to
> be in
Supported. ( I assume you mean lan0; lan0:1; lan0:2 .. etc)

Tim

-
apichart
Advisor

anybody kindly let me know how to assign the point.
Tim D Fulford
Honored Contributor

Sure

1 login-in
2 go to the thread (you can get there from your profile page too)
3 There should be a drop down box for each reply on each question, select the points you want to assign. You can do the whole thread then hit the apply button.

Regards

Tim
-
Tim D Fulford
Honored Contributor

Hi

one other thing, it is customary to assign points to EVERYONE. If you really want to assign 0 points, you can.

This specific reply would get 0 (as it is really re-clarification of a previous answer), the one that I answered your question about applying points may get 1-3 (your choice) as it is of little relavence to the main subject. The other replies to the main question .... well that is truel;y up to you but general advice is
o 0 not relavent, or correction/repitition
o 1-3 no help, but thanks for posting reply
o 4-7 Some help, but did not fully solve/answer question
o 8-10 Answered the question or solved the problem (& the thread gets a bunny)

It is a good idea to assign points as other users can search the forum for previous question and the system can sort them using the points system. Add to this, if you have 100% record of assigning points the savvy rush to post replies and you get a better chance of getting people like A Clay etc rushing to your assistance... a good thing I think

Tim
-