Operating System - HP-UX
1748010 Members
4824 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: reason: 552 Put ,E=\r\n at the end of Mether, Mtcp, or Msmtp in sendmail.cf if you are

Anu Mathew
Valued Contributor

reason: 552 Put ,E=\r\n at the end of Mether, Mtcp, or Msmtp in sendmail.cf if you are

Hello folks,

I happen to administer a sendmail 8.11.4 server which sends outbound mails. Of lately, many messages to say, a top-notch .com is un-delievered with an error like:

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to mx1.mail.foo.com.:
>>> DATA
<<< 552 Put ,E=\r\n at the end of Mether, Mtcp, or Msmtp in sendmail.cf if you are using Solaris 2.5 (fixed in 2.5.1). I cannot accept messages with stray newlines. Many SMTP servers will time out waiting for \r\n.\r\n.
554 5.0.0...Service unavailable

It asks me to put E=\r\n in the Sendmail.cf file, but it is already there, defining Mailer specifications.

At times, mails get delivered to this domain.

I even tried adding another E=\r\n in the .cf file like:

Msmtp, P=[IPC], F=mDFMuX, S=EnvFromSMTP/HdrFromSMTP, R=EnvToSMTP, E=\r\n, L=990,
T=DNS/RFC822/SMTP,
A=TCP $h,
E=\r\n

Still the problem persists.

Any ideas on what is going here?

Thanks a lot in advance for your time, patience and expertise.

Anu Mathew
7 REPLIES 7
someone_4
Honored Contributor

Re: reason: 552 Put ,E=\r\n at the end of Mether, Mtcp, or Msmtp in sendmail.cf if you are

Hi,
Looks like some kind of dns problem. are you able to resolv to that domain? How is your dns set up? Here si what I get with an nslookup on top-notch.com.

nslookup top-notch.com
Using /etc/hosts on: lvadm01

looking up FILES
Trying DNS
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: top-notch.com
Address: 212.100.230.160

Then try a test to that email from the command line.

echo test | sendmail -v user@top-notch.com

and lets see what you get. run the command
mailq
or
sendmail -q
I would also bet that the messages are building up in your mail queue.

Also take a look at your mail.log for anything funny to that domain.

~ Richard
Anu Mathew
Valued Contributor

Hi Richard,

I am able to resolve the MX hosts properly. From my 1st posting, we can see that Sendmail resolves the MX host and talks to him.

While sending mails from the command line, it works well. I have a feeling this is all about the DOT in the E/SMTP talks at:

354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself

He is not accepting my "DOT" and I timeout waiting to hear from him about the damn "DOT"

Using sendmail coupled with MUAs make the scenario here. Because,sendmail has to pass a lot of headers too.

Thanks

Anu Mathew
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Hi Anu money =))

What about the patches ? Did you try installing the latest sendmail patches ? which OS version ? Is this happening to only one address ?

some thoughts ...
Shiju
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
someone_4
Honored Contributor

hi,
the error is

354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself

but where is the dot?
is it at the end of your domain? and it is seeing it as
yourdomain.net.
and that is why it is not taking it? If that is the case just set your $Dj macro to
yourdomain.net
without a dot.

But if not .. where is the dot?

Richard
Anu Mathew
Valued Contributor

Hi Shiju money =))

OS is Linux 7.x, Sendmail ver 8.11.4, issue with email address to a certain big-shot .com domain on the net.

Thanks

AM
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Daa =))

May be helpful if you post it in the linux forums:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/FamilyHome/1,,118,00.html

HTH,
Shiju

Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Anu Mathew
Valued Contributor

Hi Folks,

I was looking for a solution on the web and it looks like Sendmail and Qmail differs whether bare LFs are allowed in SMTP transactions. My 8.11.x does allow it, but Qmail on the other end is too restrictive about.

Well, I will be using mailertable and route the mails to that domains to a friendly relay server, which will do the *nasty* job of dealing with Qmail at the actual receiving end.

I am not going to touch my sendmail sources, being a die-hard sendmail fan.

Long live Sendmail...!! ))

Thanks a lot guys,

Anu Mathew