New Discussion юеВ

reply address in elm

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bonny Jose_1
Advisor

reply address in elm

Hi,
Can I change the reply address of my outgoing mails? Iam using elm for sending mails.I think it is possible with some entries in elmrc.Could somebody help me?

Thanks in advance
Bonny Jose
let us make the world
4 REPLIES 4
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Re: reply address in elm

Hi,

Have a look at this posting, it may be of some assistance.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x5d1fcb60e503d6118ff40090279cd0f9,00.html

Cheers
~Michael~
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Ceesjan van Hattum
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Elm does not allow you to set a "From" line, but you can set a "Reply-To" line in Elm by creating a file called "elmheaders" in your ~/.elm directory. The contents of the file should be:

Reply-To: firstname.lastname.gradyear@alum.bu.edu
Alternatively, you can manually set your "Reply-To" line each time you send a message. After you compose your message and exit Emacs you have the option of editing the message headers; type "h" to do so. On the Message Header Edit Screen, type "r" to change your "Reply-To" line followed by the address to which you want replies sent, e.g.:

firstname.lastname.gradyear@alum.bu.edu
Press "Enter" to accept this value and then "Enter" again to exit the Message Header Edit Screen. Finally, type "s" to send your message. You should not use this option if you've created a ~/.elm/elmheaders file; doing so will create two, conflicting "Reply-To" lines.

Regards,
Ceesjan
Bonny Jose_1
Advisor

Thanks Ceesjan,It worked with elmheaders file in .elm directory.
Thanks to you too Michael.

Cheers
Bonny
let us make the world
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Elm uses sendmail...so you have a couple options on how you can do this.
You can masquerade your host, or you can create a userdb and change the from addresses.

Since I mentioned this just a minute ago..take a look at this thread, and review the thread mentioned in it as well.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xadaaba808b46d611abda0090277a778c,00.html

Hope this helps,
Rita