108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: send text messages through modem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hoang H. Nguyen
Advisor

send text messages through modem

Can I send a text message to a pager using only modem attached to a HP server with HPUX 11.0.
Thanks
16 REPLIES 16
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Not without great difficulty but you can easily send a numeric code that represents a text message. Normally you send pager messages via email but if the network is down that obviously fails. My convention is to use pager/cell phones to leave a callback number and that can be done with nothing more than delays and numbers sent via the modem. For me, any number that starts with a '9' is critical, '8' severe, and so on.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

yes :)

You need some software daemon for the paging and a dialup configured, though.

I'll search for the utility I was recommended some months ago.
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

Hmmm... the one I was looking into is meant for SMS messages, I do not know if it's compatible with regular pagers, but quite probably yes...

http://www.alamin.org/en/index.html
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

I read the docs one more time, it will only work for SMS, but IMO that's the better way anyhow ;)
Hoang H. Nguyen
Advisor

Thank A. Clay and Florian for the quick replies.
A. Clay, you give me good idea. What command I should use to send out a numerical message?
Thanks.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Actually, you dont need anything special at all. You need a process to hold a seriual port open (kermit can do this quite nicely) and then all you do is echo to the port. I've written a C program call "holdport" which can set the baudrate and parity and then keep the port open. After that, just an echo command from the shell will do the trick with standard modem commands.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Hoang H. Nguyen
Advisor

Thank A. Clay.
I do have the Kermit and csz. I used to send text file to remote server via the modems at both ends. I will try to send to the pager using kermit as you said.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Check with your pager company. Virtually every pager company and cellphone company offer email messaging, that is, you send a plain text email message to your pager's phone number (at some cpu.domain.com) and the pager company converts the message for you. Most people who have played with SMS in the past are quite happy to drop the setup and reliability problems in favor of email.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Hoang H. Nguyen
Advisor

Thank All for helping me.
Using Kermit, I was able to send the "nemerical messages" to a pager.
Now I have another chalenge. With only modem,
how can I send SMS messages to the cell phone.
My company uses Cingular provider and Black Berry SMS services. I assume that my remote Center only communicate to the outside world through the Analog phone line.
Thanks