108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: send text messages through modem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

It is better to ask your cell phone company about the email address but for Cingular cell phones that can receive text messages, the address is: 1234567890@cingularme.com where the numbers are your phone number (area code and number). This is for US phones.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Note: my recommendation is for email to your cell phone. If your computer has no LAN card and is not on a network, then I doubt there is any text interface available without special software. If your HP-UX system is on a network, then you can configure your sendmail to forward to your email server which in turn can foward the messages to Cingular.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Hoang H. Nguyen
Advisor

Thank Bill,
You are right. I have one very isolated Center with only analog phone line to communicate with outside world. Everyone in my group has a Black Berry which is cable to receive email, voice messages and SMS messages. So, I try to send the SMS to the BB instead of "numerical messages" to the pager.
Hoang H. Nguyen
Advisor

Thank you all of you. It works by using Kermit VIA paging services provider.
Hoang H. Nguyen
Advisor

Using Kermit VIA paging services provider.
Alan Meyer_4
Respected Contributor

I must make a comment on using the internet to as a medium for sending pages. Please keep in mind that those messages are at the mercy of internet traffic and could take a long time to actually be delivered. I once had a server down page take over 4 hours to be delivered. so just be advised and aware.
" I may not be certified, but I am certifiable... "
Hoang H. Nguyen
Advisor

Hi Alan,
Thanks for the comment.