Operating System - HP-UX
1753265 Members
5588 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: sending a mail to Lotus Notes Server via sendmail

Ousmane Diarra

sending a mail to Lotus Notes Server via sendmail

I would like to experiment sendming a mail to a Lotus mail account from HP unix Server;
Sendmail is already installed
My question are:
Where should I start ?
How to check that sendmail is setup and configured properly ?
What are the basic steps to follow to make this working ?

I will appreciate your help

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

There's been alot of responses on this that should help you...so may I suggest you do a Search on 'setup sendmail'....there was a gentlemen recently who had several issues on setting it up...these should help you.

Alot depends on how you are setup...is your HPUX box set up for DNS or not. And so on. Since you didn't mention anything other than sendmail is there...it's hard to answer this for your specific needs. But I think if you look over the previous threads it will get you started and then if you run into a problem, just give a holler....we'll try to help then.

Regards,
/rcw
Douglas Cromby_1
Valued Contributor

I think that you need to establish if you are using DNS or are using a hosts file. This will dictate how sendmail will need to be configured. It us easier if DNS is set up.

If you are lucky you should just be able to send a message to one of the addresses on Notes. It will need of the SMTP type. I have not used Notes, but with Exchange this is perfectly possible, as each recipient has a SMTP address. Then you should be able to do something like this as a test:

sendmail -v fred@notes.co.uk < /etc/hosts

This command will usie sendmail with the verbose option, and send the file host to fred on notes.

I would check into these things and then come back to the forum for more guidance.
Ousmane Diarra

Some more information
I am using a NT box as a DNS server and I can ping this machine from the HP server. How do I know if the DNS is setup properly ?
I did also the following:
1.I have added an entry for NT box in the /etc/hosts on the HP
2. I have modified the sendmail.cw to add the HP server as a local host
3. I have modified the sendmail.cf file to add the official domain name and to assign the smarthost
4. I have create a file /etc/nsswitch.conf wich was missing
finally I stopped and restarted sendmail.

I am getting now the following messages:
Name server timeout
Transcient parse error: message queued for future delivery

Douglas Cromby_1
Valued Contributor

Hello,

I would see if you can see the DNS server. If you type

nslookup

you should see the DNS server(s) eg:

Default Name Server: abc.hp.com
Address: 15.xxx.xxx.xxx

You will need a file /etc/resolv.conf. This makes sendmail use DNS. It will reference the DNS nameserver. This is what mine looks like:

nameserver 15.xxx.xxx.xxx (same ip address as above).

The /etc/nsswitch.conf file should contain something like:

hosts: dns [NOTFOUND=continue] files

Now looking at /etc/mail/sendmail.cf. You not need to make any reference to doamin name as you mentioned in your step 3, when you are using DNS. I would reverse this change. In fact when using DNS, no changes are needed to sendmail.cf to get the messages flowing.

Let me know how it goes.
Ousmane Diarra

Hello,

1. nslookup gives something like:
Using /etc/hosts on: myHPserver

2. I have created the file /etc/resolv.conf that contains now :
domain like xxxx.com
nameserver

3. The reason I have changed the sendmail.cf file is I was getting the message "local host name (MyHPserver) is not qualified; fix $j in config file". So I replaced Foo.com with my domain name.

4. Since I have reversed back to the original sendmail config file, I am getting that warning message again.

cheers
Douglas Cromby_1
Valued Contributor

Having created resolv.conf what happens when you do nslookup. I would not expect it to reference /etc/hosts, but use DNS?
Ousmane Diarra

I am still getting the same message when I type nslookup :

Using /etc/hosts on :
>
Ousmane Diarra

This discussion is closed now. Everything is working fine.

Thanks for your help.