108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: sendmail versions

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lora Ganeva
Regular Advisor

sendmail versions

I am a novice to sendmail..but I'm reading the O'Reilly second edition "Sendmail". Unfortunately the syntax described in this book differs a lot from those in my sendmail.cf file.My sendmail is version 8.9 and the book is focused on version 8.8.
Could anyone give me an advice what book could I read?
4 REPLIES 4
Hai Nguyen_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Lora,

The book you are reading is good. There should be only minor fixes, improvements in 8.9 (assuming going from 8.8).

You can look into sendmail 8.9 release note and may find out the differences between the two minor releases.

Hai
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor

http://www.sendmail.org has some links for 8.9
You may find lots of information (including links to other manuals) by just using www.google.com and search for sendmail 8.9

Just a word of advice: make sure your sendmail program matches the sendmail.cf.

# grep DZ /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
# what /usr/sbin/sendmail | grep version

If you have applied any patch that affects the sendmail.cf, the updated copy will be located in /usr/newconfig/etc/mail/sendmail.cf without overwriting your existing sendmail.cf.

Cheryl
"Downtime is a Crime."
Shannon Petry
Honored Contributor

The 8.8 and 8.9 syntax are going to be very similar. While certain macro's change, syntax should be identical.
If you say syntax is different are in reading sections of M4 code and thinking this is semdmail.cf syntax?
The sendmail.cf is pretty much the same for the rev number 8.x. at 9.x there are lots of changes.

Regards,
Shannon
Microsoft. When do you want a virus today?