1753266 Members
5337 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: what output of new sendmail binary

Gerald Miller_1
Occasional Advisor

what output of new sendmail binary

I have installed the new sendmail binaries from HP according to the latest security bulletin, and have ensured that the cksum output is the same as what is noted in the same bulletin.

My question is, why is my `what` output dated 03/04/03 (see below)?

# what /usr/sbin/sendmail
/usr/sbin/sendmail:
Copyright (c) 1998 HEWLETT PACKARD COMPANY and its licensors,
including Sendmail, Inc., and the Regents of the
University of California. All rights reserved.
version.c 8.11.1 (Berkeley) - Revision 1.3_binary - 03/04/2003
If it compiles, it's good. If it boots up, it's perfect.
5 REPLIES 5
Ramkumar Devanathan
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The what string is the string containing details such as above, and it is placed at the time of the build of the sources into the built libraries/executables.

I don't know why you should have a problem about the date? Can you explain?

What was the 'what' string earlier? is the date now newer than earlier 'what' string date?

- ramd.
HPE Software Rocks!
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

I believe because that was the date of the patch...your output looks fine...
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Christopher Caldwell
Honored Contributor

I think Gerald is pointing out is that the versioning information (obtained via what) for the recent sendmail patches doesn't make a lot of sense.

Since the patches are handled outside of SD-UX, it would be nice if the HP folks would include enough versioning information to understand when the binary was built or enough information [besides cksum] to know you're properly patched. (I hope this binary wasn't built on 3/4 since the vulnerability in question wasn't announced until 3/29).

It's easy to use what or SD-UX, to make sure your running the correct version. It's tedious to use cksum.
W.C. Epperson
Trusted Contributor

EEK. You don't suppose they patched the binary with adb?
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it." --Poe
Gerald Miller_1
Occasional Advisor

The issue here is that the what output does not make sense... why is the date 03/04/2003 when the this issue just surfaced about a week ago?

Unless HP has a Magic 8-Ball of Security Holes and made this patch a month in advance, this makes no sense. =)
If it compiles, it's good. If it boots up, it's perfect.