1752794 Members
5706 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA with SCOM

Dmitriy_ru

MSA with SCOM

Hello!
I have MSA2324fc and monitoring server (with Windows Server 2008 R2 and Microsoft System center Operations Manager 2007 R2). I try to monitoring MSA with SNMP.
First i installed SNMP trap on windows server and then configured it (in SNMP Service created community name MSA and accepted community names public and private with appropriate rights). Intalled HP StorageWorks Management pack in SCOM.
After that i configured "SNMP Notification" on MSA (Notification Level: Informational;Read Community: public; Write Community: private; Trap Host 1 Address: ip address of server with SCOM).
But it not working :( There are no events and alerts in SCOM monitoring console. And i can't find some snmp message in windows eventlog.
Firewall is disable.
Is anyone know solution?
13 REPLIES 13
Richelle Ahlvers
Occasional Advisor

Dmitry,

What version of the StorageWorks Management Pack are you using?
artemnet
Occasional Advisor

im having exactly same issue. And version of my mangment pack is 1.8.00.

Anyone knows solution?
Rajesh AK

Please check if SNMP Trap Catcher rule is enabled. You need to enable override for the server that receives SNMP Traps.

Regards,
Rajesh
artemnet
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply.
Im override rule for the Managment Server computer group. Still no any messages.
Im not clear with SNMP community groups now.
So, in my MSA these parameters configure:
Read Community: public
Write Community: private

Im configure my SNMP service with these parameters:
On Traps page im added "Community Name" private and public with MSA ip adress in trap destination.

On Security page:
Uncheck Send authentication trap flag
In Accepted community names im added community public with READ ONLY rights and private with READ WRITE rights.
Accept SNMP packets from any host also checked.

Im try to sniff traffic between MSA and SCOM and i see, that traps sending by MSA. Also i see scom send get-request packets and MSA send get-responce packets.
Rajesh AK

Traps tab in SNMP service properties is meant for traps sent from that system. You need not add MSA IP address here, to receive traps from MSA.

In MSA SNMP Configuration page, could you verify "Notification Level" and Trap Host IP address is set as Ops Mgr server IP address?

Have you verified if MSA traps are reaching Ops Mgr server?

You may use SNMPUTIL.EXE (part of Windows NT 4.0 Resource Kit). On Ops Mgr server, running "SNMPUTIL.EXE trap" will list SNMP traps reaching the Ops Mgr server.
artemnet
Occasional Advisor

RE:>In MSA SNMP Configuration page, could you verify "Notification Level" and Trap Host IP address is set as Ops Mgr server IP address?

Yes, my Notification Level is set to Informational and provided ip adress for trap host is correct.

RE:>Have you verified if MSA traps are reaching Ops Mgr server?

Yes, with my network trafic analyzer i see SNMP traps reached the server, see screenshot.

Right now im try looking for SNMPUTIL.exe and post results litle bit later here.
artemnet
Occasional Advisor

hmm... Im start SNMPUTIL trap. Send some test notify from MSA. Nothing goes on, only snmputil: listening for traps on my screen.
artemnet
Occasional Advisor

im using HP P2000 G3 SAS.
artemnet
Occasional Advisor

=D
Turn off windows firewall few moments ago and SNMPUTIL show me a trap:
snmputil: trap generic=6 specific=3001
from -> 10.80.0.27
Variable = .iso.org.dod.internet.experimental.94.1.11.1.3.80.12.15.241.9.79.32.0
Value = Integer32 9999
Variable = .iso.org.dod.internet.experimental.94.1.11.1.7.80.12.15.241.9.79.32.0
Value = Integer32 3
Variable = .iso.org.dod.internet.experimental.94.1.11.1.9.80.12.15.241.9.79.32.0
Value = String Event type: 312, Test SNMP trap from system name VM-MSA-1, typ
e HP StorageWorks P2000 G3 SAS, S/N 2S6028D599, part number 582939-001

Still nothing in my monitoring tab in scom!=(