Advancing Life & Work
1748169 Members
4278 Online
108758 Solutions
New Article ๎ฅ‚
karlkovacs

1 more reason to attend HPE Discover: Free technical exams and certifications

Discover 2016.png

HPE Discover is our largest conference of the year, complete with our latest technology, solutions, and industry experts on the Discover Zone floor. We also have keynote sessions, break-out sessions, and hands-on labs. In addition to all of this, HPE is once again offering free technical training sessions worth up to $4,000 and two free server, cloud, data center, networking, and/or storage, HP0/HPE0 exams and an additional one exam at half price.

HPE Software is offering attendees the ability to take one free HP0/HPE0 software exam and an additional one exam at half price, until a maximum is reached. We recommend that you take a software exam early in the week.

.Take advantage of this once a year opportunity to upgrade an existing certification, or obtain a new technical certification. In this post, I will cover all the information you need to know before you go as well as a few handy hints on how to study and sit a proctored exam.

Studying for an exam

Everyone has his or her own method of studying for an exam. What I can tell you is to start studying now if you donโ€™t plan on taking the training at Discover! Read the recommended training material and EPG (exam prep guide). Spend 30 minutes every day reading the material. Spend your free time on the plane reading the recommended study material. Print out the EPG as it has sample questions and answers. If there is something listed on the EPG and you require clarification, walk up to the Discover Zone and find an expert. They canโ€™t answer exam questions but will clarify any concepts or solution questions you may have. 

Remember, if you wait until itโ€™s too late, you maybe wasting your time sitting the exam. If you fail the first exam and attempt it a second time, you will get a different set of exam questions. If you donโ€™t know your stuff, you will probably fail the second test.

Sitting an Exam

I canโ€™t tell you the best way to sit an exam, but here is what I do. I will use HPE0-J79 (Architecting Multi-Site HPE Storage Solutions) as my example. J79 has 60 questions with a passing score of 70%. This means you need to answer 42 questions correctly to pass the exam.

Using your whiteboard, write 1-60. For each answer you know is right, give yourself a checkmark. For those you arenโ€™t sure about, write a question mark. The rest get an X. Now score yourself. How well did you do? How much time is left on your exam? If you have time, review questions you marked with a question mark. Finally, review the answers with an X. If you changed any answers and feel more confident, rescore yourself. How well do you feel you did? Using this method, Iโ€™ve always scored within 2 percent of my actual test score.

Here are some additional tips:        

• Take your time: this is not a race! You arenโ€™t here to best the times of your colleagues. Take as much time as you have allocated to read all the questions and answer them to the best of your ability.
  • Before starting: When you sit down, take 5 minutes to write key formulas or information on your supplied whiteboard. An example would be subnet table calculations or other key information for your test. After completing this, raise your hand and an exam proctor will start your exam.
  • Read the questions. Carefully read and reread every question before answering. If you arenโ€™t 100% sure of your answer, mark it for review. Also mark questions for review that have you scratching your head. After answering all the question, use your whiteboard to score yourself.

Donโ€™t forget: The most important things you need to bring are:

• Government issued ID (driverโ€™s license or passport)
  • Pearson VU ID and password
  • HPE Learner ID and password

Passing the Exam

Once you know youโ€™ve passed your exam, make sure you come find me so we can celebrate. Also, donโ€™t forget to look for โ€œI just earned my certification at Discover 2016!โ€ sign at the exam registration desk or in the lounge. Take a selfie and and share it on social media using #HPEDiscover and the certification level hashtag. (#HPEATP, #HPEASE, or #HPEMASE.)

If you are a new or existing HPE Master ASE, join our private LinkedIn group for peer discussions and make sure you attend our private Master ASE event on Wednesday evening.

Exam Center Frequently Asked Questions

If you have any unanswered questions take a look at our Exam Center FAQs.

What exam(s) are you sitting this year? Will you be working on a new certification? Let me in the comments section and I will be sure to find you in the HPE Certification and Learning lounge.

Thank you,

Karl Kovacs
0 Kudos
About the Author

karlkovacs

20+ years in IT, including data center architect, pre-sales engineer, certification development, and management. Currently working as a Product Marketing Manager with HPE Storage Networking. Passion for technology, gadgets, and the outdoors. Always looking for ways to blend them together in one big adventure.