Advancing Life & Work
1748038 Members
4784 Online
108757 Solutions
New Article
karlkovacs

3 Things You Need to Know About HPE Remote Proctored Exams

ProctoredExamBlogPost - Copy.png

Achieving a Hewlett Packard Enterprise technical certification sets you on the path to a rewarding career in information technology. From our ATP to our Master ASE certifications, you’re ready to help customers solve complex business problems. Achieving an HPE technical certification requires you pass one of more proctored exams.The challenge IT professionals face is scheduling, traveling, and sitting a proctored exam at a Pearson VUE test center. Now you can schedule and sit a remotely proctored exam from your office or home. In this post, I will cover the essentials for sitting a remotely proctored exam and a few tips to help you prepare for your next remote proctored exam.

Before you schedule your exam

Have you run the exam simulation experience? Check your laptop or desktop to ensure you can run the proctored exam on your system. Along with basic system requirements, test your webcam! I highly recommend placing a webcam on a tripod allowing the remote proctor to see more of your surrounds. It’s not essential but will make for a better exam experience. I’ll explain why later in this post.

Prepare your workspace

Tidy up your workspace before you register. Remove all items from your desk and tidy up your workspace. The exam proctor will have you show him or her your entire location and ask you to remove pieces of paper, books, and other items from your desk or workspace. Sitting a remotely proctored exam is no different than sitting an exam at a Pearson VUE test center. You will be asked to turn off and put away your mobile phone, watch, and anything else the remote proctor asks you to put away. Send calendar appointments to colleagues or family members, reminding them when you will be sitting your exam. Avoid any distractions! Tell you co-workers or family members how long you will be unavailable. Proper preparation will save you time during your exam.

Sitting your exam

Your exam proctor will ask you to take a photo of yourself and show him/her your photo identification. Keep your ID close at hand for registration or in the event of a secure connection problem.

You will not be allowed to leave the room or even get up from your chair. The exam proctor will stop your exam if he/she cannot see your hands at all time. A webcam mounted on a tripod gives the remote proctor a wider view of you and your workspace, allowing them to see you better than if you used a built-in webcam. Failure to comply results in immediate termination of your exam session.

You will not be able to have a hot or cold beverage on your desk. Keep your face pointed at your screen during your exam session.

Use the chat box If you experience any problems or have a question during your exam. Your exam proctor is there to help you succeed.

Do you ever have questions or concerns about an individual exam question?. Flag the question and move on to the next item. Before you submit for scoring, review the questions you flagged. Use the comment dialog box to provide your comments or suggestions. Your feedback is valuable. The Hewlett Packard Enterprise exam design team reads every comment and will follow up on your questions or concerns. I have spent many years designing HPE certifications, and I can tell you I reviewed your comments and used them when creating or updating courseware and exams.  

Pearson VUE has a great video showing the candidate exam experience. For more information, read my article “Introducing Hewlett Packard Enterprise Remote Proctored Exams.”

Register today for our introductory offer of $200USD. This offer expires December 15, 2016.

What benefits/advantages have you found or anticipate by sitting an online proctored exam?

Continue the conversation in our community forum.

Thank you,

Karl Kovacs
About the Author

karlkovacs

20+ years in IT, including data center architect, pre-sales engineer, certification development, and management. Currently working as a Product Marketing Manager with HPE Storage Networking. Passion for technology, gadgets, and the outdoors. Always looking for ways to blend them together in one big adventure.