Advancing Life & Work
1748148 Members
3854 Online
108758 Solutions
New Article
SarahA

Get to know Karyl Miller, Master ASE with OnX Enterprise Solutions in this Mastermind profile

Learn how Karyl Miller got her start in technology in Alaska

Karyl MillerKaryl Miller

Name: Karyl Miller

Employer: OnX Enterprise Solutions

Title/Role: Principal Solution Architecture

Education: B.S., Computer Science, Oklahoma State University

LinkedIn Profile:  Karyl Miller

Certifications:

How did you get started? 

“I did programming after college and had a friend that left our company to work for Digital Equipment Corporation. My husband was transferred to Alaska with the military, and my friend recommended me for a position with DEC in Anchorage. I had NO experience with hardware, but they took a chance on me!  Every time my husband was transferred, I then had the ‘opportunity’ to find another position and learn something new. All those changes and jobs and technologies are things I use every day when I talk to customers about their objectives.”

What is your favorite HPE technology? 

HPE Storage.  I honestly am not sure why, but I find the concepts of data storage fascinating.  (Yes, I know that everyone else thinks it’s boring!)  Understanding the data being stored, it’s value to the business, and how it is/should be managed is constantly changing and differs drastically amongst the various customers I work with. I enjoy the opportunity to understand their business…and data is the center of the business!!”

Any interesting customer stories you would like to share? 

“One of my customers wanted to move from an older storage array (REALLY old).  The array was almost full, the software revs were out of date, and they had data that hadn’t been accessed in years.  Using my knowledge of the HPE product line, we are able to provide them with not only a new storage array, but also with a cost-effective archive-to-tape solution that helps them manage the lifecycle of the data rather than just the capacity. (HPE 3PAR and StoreOnce Archive Manager)  We were able to save them hundreds of thousands of dollars by looking first at the data and ensured a safe migration of the data to the new hardware.”

What are the benefits of being a Master ASE?

“My certifications were initially considered just a wicket that we had to accomplish in order to sell the products we wanted to sell. Today, my company considers them a way to show customers our capabilities and increase our value. That allows us to increase our profit margins and enter new customers by assuring them that we are trained and know the technologies we are presenting.”

Any advice for women interested in pursuing a career in technology? 

“Contact the HPE Education team and talk to someone about what you are trying to accomplish.  Often the myriad of options is overwhelming and they can assist with determining the best way to approach reaching your goals. Remember that it is a journey and the road is being worked on and changed as you move forward. Don’t get frustrated. One of the best things about our world is that we always get to learn something new!!!”

As a Master ASE, you will be recognized as having reached the pinnacle in HPE Certifications. Customers will rely on you to bring rich technical skills to design and implement their most complex solutions. You’ll also see personal and business rewards while being able to network and share with one of the most exclusive teams in the industry.

0 Kudos
About the Author

SarahA

I’ve been in marketing in high-tech for 20+ years.

Comments