108758 Solutions
New Article
Alex_Katsila

Mastermind May: Franco Telò from Milan, Italy

HPE Mastermind:  Franco Telò

Franco TeloFranco Telo

Company: Ingram Micro S.r.l.

Title/Role: HPE Presales Key Account

Education: Master of Science in Management Engineering, Politecnico di Milano (www.polimi.it).

Degree thesis developed at the Italia National Research Council’s Institute of Industrial Technologies and Automation – Milan (www.itia.cnr.it)

LinkedIn Profile:  Franco Telò

Certifications: 

How did you get started? 
"It was quite accidental: almost thirteen years ago I resigned as Technical Supervisor from a local air compressors company (that was definitely not my way), and answered an ad of a contractor company for a “maternity replacement in a high technology company”; the request was for a technically skilled IT person and… I ended up to be a technical sales support in HP Enterprise Group. Almost two years later, when the contract become not legally renewable, I was hired by a global distributor (Avnet) as presales support and I tried to be not only a bare “presales support”, but a trusted tech-consultant. After three years the company decided to close the Italian HP business then I moved to a local distributor with the same role and attitude. Last September I decided to accept another professional challenge, always remaining in IT business. Along those years I improved my knowledge and competencies relying on trainings, “hands-on” sessions and a dash of imagination."

What do you see the benefits of being a Master ASE?
"As I’m working for a distributor, my Master ASE certification endorses that, through continuous learning and technical updates, I can better support all HPE Business Partners who rely on my knowledge, competency and professionalism to design, propose and implement innovative and/or complex solutions for their customers business needs."

What is your favourite HPE technology?
"This question is a tricky one for a lot of people, including me: every IT professional who used 3PAR once, loves it. Although I have a really soft spot for 3PAR (as I think pretty much everyone), I like the HPE OneView approach for monitoring and integrated management of the entire infrastructure. This allows customers to be proactive glimpsing the clues of infrastructure problems (in addition, of course, to the scripted management and infrastructure deployment)."

Any interesting customer stories you would like to share?
"At the moment I’m handling some open projects, since I have already closed some deals with different Business Partners. One of these is an old project and it concerns the compliancy required to a service contractor of a big company.

Some years ago they had to release a new service that needed only business continuity with an yearly uptime of 99.999% (maximum 5 minutes of downtime in an year); working with the partner we used five DL580G7, VMware and a cluster of HP EVA with Business Copy & Continuous Access. Due to a cost reduction required during the delivery of the project, we had to withdraw the use of VMware SRM and the company accepted that the failover of the VMs had to be scripted; in order to achieve this, we had to adjust all VMs timeouts for the storage scanning process to let the switchover of the arrays. This is how it is running now. The contractor now is asked to comply with a new policy that require, on top of the local business continuity, a remote geographical disaster recovery of the infrastructure.

Due to the obsolescence of the old infrastructure and the new competencies gained, the proposed solution is based on a tech refresh of the environment with new servers (DL580 Gen9) and a couple of 3PAR 8200 for the local business continuity (they will be placed in two different Data Centers in the same city using the stretched cluster architecture) that replicates asynchronously on third 3PAR (with other servers) in a datacenter  in another city (the distance is about 200km) for the disaster recovery. Each component of the new infrastructure must be integrated with VMware and managed with HPE OneView, since every component has to be monitored and operated remotely."

What's your tip for others interested in HPE certifications?
"Set your goals at the highest level, gain confidence and understand the technology, rely on your knowledge and experience to achieve the result. Remember that learning is a continuous process, every day is an occasion to learn something new and exams are never ending. If you do pass or not an exam, use the results to work on your pain points."

As a Master ASE, you will be recognized as having reached the pinnacle in HPE Certifications. Customers will rely on you to bring rich technical skills to design and implement their most complex solutions. You’ll also see personal and business rewards while being able to network and share with one of the most exclusive teams in the industry.

Follow me on Twitter @ Alex_kats
About the Author

Alex_Katsila

I’m an Activation Lead and working in the IT industry for almost 10 years now. I love Instagram, blogging and sharing fascinating stories about our HPE sales, presales and channel partners.