Title/Role: Chief Technology Officer

LinkedIn Profile: Jake Foster

Certifications

HPE ATP - Storage Solutions V2

HPE ASE - Storage Solutions Architect V2

HPE Master ASE - Storage Solutions Architect V2

HPE Sales Certified - Enterprise Solutions

How did you get started? 
“I started straight out of school, after A-Levels, supporting the local IT of a large supermarket whilst working with the UK team. I had always been interested in technology from a very early age but wasn’t quite sure which direction I wanted to go in, so, I applied for a software development job at a local telco and then swapped from software development to UNIX infrastructure support in the space of six months and haven’t looked back since. I could see storage underpinning everything that I was doing in my day-to-day job and the opportunity arose to train and support the HP XP storage range which I jumped at. This then led to the EVA and now, the HPE 3Par solutions. I have to have a deep understanding of not only the underlying technologies but also how those solutions fit into the business needs of the clients. I also have to have the knowledge of what is sat on these solutions, such as hypervisors or operating systems – so I have broad expertise across a multitude of hardware and software platforms.”

What is your favorite HPE technology? 
“HPE 3PAR all the way – it’s a great technology that’s easy to use, and you get so much out of it. The EVA range was simple to configure and use, but the HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage is a step above that. I am enjoying the HPE 3PAR Management Console (the replacement for HPE 3PAR StoreServ legacy management console); the reporting is really useful to present management information to the client’s execs and technical information to the IT staff.”

Any interesting customer stories you would like to share?
“A client went out to tender for a brand new infrastructure solution (they needed everything from storage, to servers, to backups and as usual their requirements exceeded their budget!) and I was able to use the knowledge gained from my Master ASE to add a lot more detail and options to the ‘kit list’ they had sent out – which enabled us to win the tender, and also ensured the client was getting the right solution for them. One key point was their ability to recover from backups and the current solution not enabling them to store as many restore points as they would have liked – having just been to HPETSS I had seen all the great advancements that HPE have done with the HPE StoreOnce Data Protection solution and Veeam 3rd party backup solution – and this fitted the client’s requirements exactly, so a definite and immediate return on investment on my time spent at HPETSS.”

What are the benefits of being a Master ASE?
“For me, it’s about recognition. Gaining the Master ASE Storage Architect certification really shows the dedication I have put into my own growth within this solution space, plus the commitment my employer has given to enable me to study and continue to expand my knowledge. It helps give me pedigree when talking to clients, as I not only have the certification, but also the real world experience to back it up. It’s great to see how HPE approaches storage and all that entails and then matching that to the client’s business requirements.”

Any tips for others interested in HPE certifications?
“It’s definitely worth while spending the time and effort to get the certifications! There’s a lot to do and no one will say anything different. It helps you as an individual confirm what you are doing in your day-to-day role is correct, and it certainly helps your profile in your business and wider client base. Go to HPETSS if you can, it’s a great event which allows you to meet the guys that develop the solutions within HPE and also to meet like-minded individuals that are on the same path as you!”

As a Master ASE, you will be recognized as having reached the pinnacle in HPE Certifications. Customers will rely on you to bring rich technical skills to design and implement their most complex solutions. You’ll also see personal and business rewards while being able to network and share with one of the most exclusive teams in the industry.

About the Author

SarahA

I’ve been in marketing in high-tech for 20+ years.