Name: Michael Smith
Employer: FedTek
Title/Role: Data Center Engineer/ Pre-sales
Education: Bachelor of Science, Strayer University, expected 2017
LinkedIn Profile: Michael Smith
HPE Community: Mjsmith11

Certifications:
HP Sales Certified - Converged Infrastructure Solutions [2014]
HP Sales Certified - Introduction to Selling Servers, Storage, Networking and Services [2014]
HP Sales Certified - Networking Solutions and Services [2014]
HP Sales Certified - Servers, Converged Systems and Services [2015]
HP Advanced Sales Certified - Enterprise Networking Solutions and Services [2014]
HP Advanced Sales Certified - Enterprise Networking Solutions and Services [2015]
HP Advanced Sales Certified - Enterprise Server Solutions and Services [2014]
HP Advanced Sales Certified - Enterprise Storage Solutions and Services [2014]
HP Advanced Sales Certified - Enterprise Storage Solutions and Services [2015]
HP Support Certified - Industry Standard Server Solutions [2013] HP Technical Certified II - 3PAR Utility Storage [2013]
HP Technical Certified I - HP StoreVirtual 4000 [2013]
HP AIS - Network Infrastructure [2011]
HP APC - StorageWorks Solutions Architect [2011]
HP ATP - FlexNetwork Solutions V1
HP ATP - FlexNetwork Solutions V2
HP ATP - FlexNetwork Solutions V3
HP ATP - Rack and Tower Server Solutions Support V8 (expiring 1 December 2016)
HP ATP - Server Solutions V1
HP ATP - Storage Solutions V1
HP ASE - FlexNetwork Integrator V1
HP ASE - Network Infrastructure [2011]
HP ASE - Server Solutions Integrator V8.1
HP ASE - Storage Solutions Architect V1
HP Master ASE - FlexNetwork Solutions V1
HP Master ASE - Network Infrastructure [2011]
HP Master ASE - Storage Solutions Architect V1>
HPE Sales Certified - Enterprise Solutions [2016]
HPE Certified Instructor [2016]

How did you get started?

"As a kid, I became fascinated by the internet, back when my parents got us access to the internet with Prodigy. When I started chatting with other internet users I was baffled. How can they be reading and responding to what Iโ€™m typing so fast? I thought โ€˜how is this possible!โ€™ So I started reading more about the specifics on how the internet works. and I went to school to be a PC bench tech. I was able to get my first job as a PC Tech/Field Tech. I continued learning about the internet and earned my A+ and Network+ certification, and then my CCNA. So basically with my networking skills and my pc hardware skills I worked contract work. In 2011, I was referred to the job I have now with FedTek. They are partners with HPE and I started learning about HPE products and going to events. The level of work became more sophisticated, Iโ€™m now working at the Enterprise level. A completely different level than I was before.โ€

What is your favorite HPE technology?

"Personally, I really like the HPE VAN SDN Controller. It is free and along with the other solutions in the HPE SDN Store, has allowed me to learn about Software Defined Networking. Which has led me to join an SDN 'Meetup' groups in the Washington, DC area and get to know some very interesting people and hear great speakers. Itโ€™s really opened my eyes."

Any interesting customer stories you would like to share?

"A government agency reached out for a solution for a 'LAN refresh'. It was a couple of million dollar deal. Every networking manufacturer submitted a bid. Working with the extensive HPE Networking knowledge Iโ€™ve gained by becoming a Master ASE, I was able to provide the specific information on how HPE Networking solutions are the best path forward for their nationwide LAN refresh. The government agency was able to successfully meet and exceed their requirements within their budget. And my company was one of three awarded the blanket purchase agreement with the government agency."

What are the benefits of being a Master ASE?

โ€œPersonally for me, one of the benefits of earning a Master ASE was gaining a strong sense of accomplishment; more than any other certification, because of all the training and studying and time I put into the certification. I felt like I reached a significant milestone in my career.

Professionally, the biggest benefits of a Master ASE is that it allows me to translate system capabilities into customer benefits. If I hadnโ€™t earned for my Master ASE in networking and learned HPEโ€™s approach to networking, at that high of a level, I would not have been able to match the government agenciesโ€™ requirements to HPE solutions. My Master ASE certification helps my company earn business.โ€

Any tips for others interested in HPE certifications?

"Do not let the vast amount of information required to learn discourage you into giving up or not attempting earning a Master ASE. Look for information and training in The Learning Center. Subscribe to the email lists that announce HPE roadshows and other events. Make every local HPE event and webinar that you can; or listen to the recordings, because it is a great way to keep up with what is new."

As a Master ASE, you will be recognized as having reached the pinnacle in HPE certifications. Customers will rely on you to bring rich technical skills to design and implement their most complex solutions. Youโ€™ll also see personal and business rewards while being able to network and share with one of the most exclusive teams in the industry.

About the Author

SarahA

Iโ€™ve been in marketing in high-tech for 20+ years.