1747988 Members
4819 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: softphone over IPSec VPN

alexb_1
Advisor

softphone over IPSec VPN

Folks, I have a customer using Juniper and SafeNet remoteLT VPN client. I installed the pcXset on the laptops but cant get the connection to work.

I have the softphone connect to the NBX and create a profile. the NBX thinks the phone is IPOnline but the pcXset is stuck in waiting for init.

Any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8
Luckycharms
Frequent Advisor

Basics first. You should to be working in Layer 3 mode if using a remote connection. Therefore the first question. Is the NBX in Layer 3 mode i.e. is "IP on the Fly enabled" or is it using a static IP address. I assume yes since you are using IPSec but if not start here first.

IPSec VPN tunnels can be a bear to troubleshoot when specific applications fail. So if you have the option, try making sure everything works with PPTP first.

The VPN is probably not intercepting packets for the NBX and/or the Softphone application is talking to the NIC directly, bypassing the VPN.

Some apps select a NIC when they are installed. When a VPN is added or used then the App needs to first know the VPN exists and can be selected. I have seen where the same PC will work or fail depending on the type of VPN used. Mainly because different VPN connections have specific characteristics i.e. PPTP creates its own Virtual NIC (seen in IPCONFIG) and by default uses the Tunnel as the default Route. IPSec VPN's don't natively use a Virtual NIC (doesn't show up in IPCONFIG) and use routing decision and don't support Multicast natively (without GRE for example).

Now on the PC If i remember the NBX Softphone has an option to pick the NIC to use for connectivity. If yes when the VPN is up, does the softphone show only the NIC or the NIC and the VPN as selections. If both select the VPN and see if there is a difference. If not then the VPN client should give you an option to add routes to it so that when it gets a request for the IP address or Network the NBX is on it will intercept these packets and send them over the VPN instead of the NIC.

Lastly, its also possible that in rare instances the path to a device from a remote device over the VPN is different that the path back. L2 over VPN but L3 not. Make sure your Firewall at work or Home router is not dropping packets and configured correctly.

Hope this helps.

alexb_1
Advisor

Thank you Luckycharms. The NBX is in L3 on both ends (without this the IPonline wouldn't work). The issue is that pcXset is tring to install a low level driver on the nic and it unable to do so with the ipsec virtual nic. I am just tring to figure out is what part of the communication (and on what port) the init goes back to the pcXset

merlin_1
Super Advisor

I believe you can assign the nic to the pcxset .

alexb_1
Advisor

how? I tired to add it as a protocol but it would not take.

merlin_1
Super Advisor

Run your pcxset configuration wizard and in the mac address tab you can change the nic

Also make sure you are using the ip settings on the computer as well .

This message was edited by merlin on 3-5-09 @ 2:12 PM
alexb_1
Advisor

as far as I know you can only change the NIC to the nics that have the nbx protocol driver loaded.

merlin_1
Super Advisor

The customer wanted to use pcXset with his Cisco VPN over a wired connection. In the Network Connections Control Panel, he found that the NBX Packet Driver protocol was bound (the box was checked) to his wireless, wired, and Cisco VPN NIC. Once he unbound (unchecked the box) for NBX Packet Driver in the Properties of his wireless NIC, he was able to use pcXset without issues.

alexb_1
Advisor

Thank you for clarifications but how to I add the nbx low level drivers to the VPN virtual nic?