Netservers
1753482 Members
4245 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding extra hard disks to Netserver lhpro

Tom_69

Adding extra hard disks to Netserver lhpro

I am attempting to add a couple of extra harddrives to a netserver lhpro, and purchased 2 IBM Ultrastor 9GB 80 pin SCA Hard Drives (model number DNES-309170) which I thought would work.

The system is not detecting the drives at all. The power leds for the drives come on for 20 seconds or so then go out. My original harddrive works fine in any position on the backplane, so that isnt the problem.

Can anyone help?
3 REPLIES 3
Theo Hill_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding extra hard disks to Netserver lhpro

Are these ultra 2 or 3 based drives? It's more than likely the backplane and the connector on the HDD are not compatible.
Tom_69

The drives are described in the manual as Ultra SCSI, Ultra2 SCSI LVD, FC. I have managed to get the drives to be recognised by the onboard scsi adapter now by forcing SE mode on the jumper settings, and setting the scsi id on the jumpers to correspond to the scsi id of the drive cage.

The problem is the two new drives are still not being detected by the raid card (a Netraid D4943A). I suppose it must be a setting somewhere....
Vernon_2
Frequent Advisor

Forgive me if this is taboo, but I was wondering what are the qualifications for a hard drive to work in a LH Pro with or without an older Netraid 4943 card? 80 pin or 68? ultra, ultra wide, ultra2, ultra3? I am looking on ebay and others and don't know which ones would work. Also how big will it handle?