108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DAT40 doesn't work on L2000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Luis Areta_1

DAT40 doesn't work on L2000

Hi,
I installed a HP Surestore DAT 40 on a Netserver L2000 with W2K.
The day I installed it I was able to perform a backup with ntbackup. Since then I can't even load any tape.
At system startup an the syslog the error sym_u3, event id:11
"the driver detected a controller error on \Device\Scsi\sym_u32."
HP Tape &Library tools doesn't detect any error.
Product ID: C5683A , the firmware revision is C104.
I checked the cabling and it should be OK since the first time the backup worked fine.
I suppose both symptoms are realted.
Can anyone give any idea on how to solve this ?
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor
Solution

Luis,

This is a known false error:

Public
Issue
HP Surestore DAT 40i with firmware version C104 generates the following false System Event Log (SEL) error message in HP Netservers LC2000/2000r and LC2000/2000r U3 systems during the system boot:

"The driver detected a controller error on \device\Scsi\sym_u32".

Other than posting the false error to the SEL during system boot, the DAT 40i functions normally.

Workaround
Disregard the error message. The HP Surestore DAT 40i will function properly. There is no impact on system integrity other than posting a false error message to the SEL during system boot.

http://hptssc.lvld.hp.com/NSD_Newsflash/2002/lpn13596.htm

Did you check for bent pins on the cable?? Have you tried both channels SCSI A and B on the LC2000? Does the Dat40 accept any tapes either cleaning or data?

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Luis Areta_1

Hi ,
So this means that the fact that the drive does not take into the tape is another kind of problem. Cleaner tapes neither. Probably it is a mechanical hardware problem.
Thanks,
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi
there is a nwe FW release C111 who solve this false error message,
obviusly he did,t solve the hardware problem if you have a such one
bye
marino
adam tekieli
HPE Pro

Hi,

I think your problem is not HW related and is very easy to solved. Just reboot your system and press "controll c" during scsi initialization to enter scsi settings for symbios controller. Change speed for scsi ID used for DAT drive to 20MB/s and reboot your system. Is your Problem solved?