Netservers
1753299 Members
7176 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Fastest processor - NetServer E 800

Fastest processor - NetServer E 800

I recently acquired an old NetServer E800

I'd like to purchase the fastest processors for it I can...I see that it supports a 933 Socket370 Pentium III, any chance a 1 gigahertz pentium III or faster would work? I plan on installing RedHat Linux on this box...

Any problems with linux and the SureStore Dat24 drive or the SCSI drives, that I should be aware of?
12 REPLIES 12
e4services
Honored Contributor

This would depend on how far they took the BIOS out. The E800 system Chip Set did not use switch settings, so it reads the CPU id and configures to match. If information for the 1Ghx or 1.1 Ghz were not written into the BIOS then it will show an 'unrecognized CPU'.
I know that not much supported that 1.1GhzEB Pentium III (the last one in the line) because Intel then release the 1.1-1.4Ghz PIII line and then the P4 shortly followed. So the best you could try is the 1GhzEB 256k Cache FC-PGA chip, not much more than the 933.
Hot Swap Hard Drives

Are there any particular processors I can't use or should use...?

Pentium III 933MHz 370 CPU SL52Q 133MHz P3

Pentium III Xeon CPU 933/133/256 SL4HC

Pentium III 933 Mhz CPU, Socket 370, SL4C9

Not sure what the SL designation is...are there any pentium IIIs that are incompatible, etc?

Radu Ban

Hi Christopher,

I'm having exactly the same problem, can you share your conclusion regarding the fastest processor it can use?

Thanks,
Radu

I've seen a processor upgrade to a Pentium III 1ghz...but I haven't tried it yet...Info on the e800 on Hp's site is somewhat thin I've noticed...
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Hi Christopher,

The E800 shipped with processors up to 1GHz and HP also sold upgrade kits to 1GHz. The processors are Coppermine, 133MHz fsb, 256K L2, Socket 370. You can buy one from HP at this link:
http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.asp?mscssid=N1045SFLV8MJ8PDURKN4LJQKADUJ9DC7&SearchInc=PartNumber

The DIP Switch setting is 0-0-1-0 and can be found at this link:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=tis04860

Hope this helps,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

P.S. Please encourage participation in the forums by assigning points rating the value of the responses.

I am King...of my apartment.

So I can't get either of those links to work...but the responses are encouraging...could someone double check those?
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Oh sorry Chris,

The first link doesn't work; something to do with HP's Search. Go to http://www.hp.com/buy/parts, select your region if required and enter P2597-63001 in the search field.

Also, check out http://partsurfer.hp.com and enter E800 in the search field labeled "By model number or name:" It will give you a list of all the E800 models and the parts list for each one.

Good Luck,

I am King...of my apartment.
Andrew Pywell
Advisor

Hi. I have an E800 with dual 1GHz CPU fitted. I gave it away to a colleague to use some years ago. He and the system are remote so I can't get the S-Spec number from the CPU itself but the Intel CPU Frequency ID utility reports the following:

Version: 7.2.20041115
Time Stamp: 2006/10/18 01:07:02
Number of processors in system: 2
Current processor: #1
Processor Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) III Processor
Type: 0
Family: 6
Model: 8
Stepping: 6
Revision: 8
L1 Instruction Cache: 16 KB
L1 Data Cache: 16 KB
L2 Cache: 256 KB
Packaging: FC-PGA
MMX(TM): Yes
SIMD: Yes
Expected Processor Frequency: 1.0 GHz
Reported Processor Frequency: 1.0 GHz
Expected System Bus Frequency: 133 MHz
Reported System Bus Frequency: 133 MHz

I seem to recall the Intel Pentium III specification document tabled the various CPU so you may be able to specifically identify the S-Spec being used from the above data. The E800 does support 1GHz. Good luck finding CPU's.