1751828 Members
5210 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Fastest processor - NetServer E 800

Andrew Pywell
Advisor

Hi again. Finally found my old case (some 3 1/2 years old). In there I recorded that HP service part P2597-69001 contained CPU with Intel S-Spec number SL52R, so that's the one you'll want to find when hunting for a CPU.

I actually purchased one of those...but when I replace the processor...it won't boot up..do I need a different terminator for the second processor slot or is there a jumper setting I need to address? I appreciate the help on this, truly...I've been unable to locate any info anywhere else...
Andrew Pywell
Advisor

I presume if you return the original CPU the system boots? If so, that would tend to imply you have a defective CPU. To answer your question, there is no difference in CPU terminator for different CPU. So I would do the following:

├В┬╖ If not already, return the original CPU to test system functionality.
├В┬╖ Check that you have the latest BIOS. Note if you have a CPU for which the BIOS does not recognise, it will still come up but will report a missing microcode message during POST.
├В┬╖ If/when it does begin POST, check speed as reported during POST.
├В┬╖ Ensure you have the CPU correctly installed and importantly, the heatsink. I've seen CPU thermally trip instantaneously at power on when the heatsink is not fitted correctly.

If that doesn't help, time to consider the CPU you purchased as defective I'd say.