New Discussion юеВ

Firmware version LH3 hotswap drivecage

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dieter Rothacker
Occasional Contributor

Firmware version LH3 hotswap drivecage

Hi,

yesterday my integrated array reported a faulty disk. I pulled the drive out, removed the dust and wanted to run a Smart test via toptools. When I reinserted the drive the server crashed. I thought SAF-TE was invented to prevent that :) How do I find out if I have to update the drivecage firmware? I have two cages, but I cannot see any mentioning of the versions...
2 REPLIES 2
Tony Maimer
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: Firmware version LH3 hotswap drivecage

Hello Dieter,

The quickest way to find the firmware is to use Instant Top Tools if you are using a Microsoft NOS. It can be downloaded from http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=15389&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=50448&prodTypeId=15351&swEnvOID=226#1124

Install and run the utility. Go to the Report tab and in the Firmware section you will see the backplanes firmware. Both should be at B.01.26. If not, you can download the update from http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=15389&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=50448&prodTypeId=15351&swEnvOID=54

Double click the file you downloaded and it will create a bootable floppy. Insert and run this floppy from boot and it will update all backplane firmware.

If the hard drive itself has become corrupt to the point where it cannot read the firmware off the hard drive, then there is little that any hardware can do to stop a hang. After you reinserted the hard drive, did it start to rebuild?

If not, I would recommend installing Netraid Assistant. This utility will allow you to check all hard drive properties, check the firmware of the controller being used, does consistency checks (which HP recommends be done at least every month, if not more often), and allows for expanding capacity of an array. You can download this utility from the first URL above if you are using Windows.

Tony
Dieter Rothacker
Occasional Contributor

Re: Firmware version LH3 hotswap drivecage

Hi,

thanks for the answer. Actually I already have Toptools and Netraid Assistant installed (on Win2K SP4).

>Go to the Report tab and in the Firmware section you will see the backplanes firmware.

Does not show on this machine. I get version info for BIOS (4.06.43 PL) and Netraid (D.03.03), but not for any cage. I think I will just try the update disk at the weekend. Thanks for the link!