New Discussion

HP Agents Pegged SNMP.exe

SOLVED
Go to solution
Denny Lester
Advisor

HP Agents Pegged SNMP.exe

Hello all,

I installed the HPAgents 5.55 on a Netserver E 60 running Windows 2000 server and now the SNMP.exe process is consuming 50% of the CPU.

The SNMP service will not stop via the services window but it can be killed using the kill utility.

Any thoughts?

Denny

-------------------------------

P.S. This Thread has been moved from Servers --> General to Servers --> Netservers - Forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Peter Stringer
Regular Advisor

Re: HP Agents Pegged SNMP.exe

Me Too, and its killing our Peoplesoft application- Any ideas?
Denny Lester
Advisor

I never found a solution. I ended up un-installing the agents. I'm wondering if the older agents would have less of an impact on this server.

I haven't had the time to look for them and try them out.

Denny
Thane L. Bitter
Solution

Hello,

I am not sure if this solution will work for you, however I had the same issue on two L Series NetServers (LH3 & LPr) running Windows 2000 server SP4; I am fairly certain that the server agents are the same for both the E and L NetServers.

Instead of doing an automatic installation of the agents, one performs a custom installation, and unchecks "SCSI Smart" & "SCSI Detail". Unfortunately, this solution is not perfect because of the loss of SCSI information; however, I found it to be an acceptable compromise.

Procedure (Windows 2000 server):
>Disable the SNMP service by changing the start-up type to "disabled"
>Logout and restart the system (this will stop the SNMP service)
>log in, reinstall the HP NetServer Agents, and choose "Customize" instead of automatic installation
>Uncheck 'SCSI Smart' and 'SCSI Detail', the reset of the installation is automatic
>Restart the SNMP service by setting start-up type to "automatic".
>Restart the system - the modified agents should now be functioning without excess CPU usage.

Hope this helps,

Thane
Denny Lester
Advisor

Thane,

Thank you so much. This solved the problem. I can always monitor my disk statistics using WMI, so I am set.

Thank you again,

Denny