Netservers
1752590 Members
2857 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP LC3 Netserver and upgrade with external disk?

Martin PILZ
Occasional Contributor

HP LC3 Netserver and upgrade with external disk?

hi!
i want upgrade a HP LC3 netserver with a external scsi-disk...
for this is needed a exterenal scsi-box, a scsi harddisk (36GB) and a scsi controller (adaptec 29160)

is this possible?
1) does a HP LC3 work with 3 scsi-controllers (HP Netraid, 2940 on board, and 29160 for external scsi-box)? (IRQ??s, ???)
2) does NT4.0 start further from the startpartition on the netraid controller or have problems if there exist than a new scsi hard-disk?
(inaccessable boot device)

3) any other issues?

thanks for any comment...
martin.
2 REPLIES 2
e4services
Honored Contributor

Martin,

Why can you not use your existing onboard controller for this requirement? Are both channels in use?
You give the impression that you have a RAID controller installed also. This only has a single channel and does not have the external port as the D4943A has?
As for the boot, as long as the external drive is not "active" logical partition, your old boot will stay in tacked.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Martin PILZ
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

the server has a D5025A on board... i can insert a internal/external scsi adapter, so that i can add a external scsi-device...

booting: if i add a external disk on the D5025A this disk will get drive C: (partiton 1) on booting as the disks on the D5025A will "scanned" first/before the disks on the netraid controller...

i don??t know if there is a difference if the partiton on the external disk is
A) active primary
B) non active logical
for starting the server/nt...

maybe i must change any settings in the bios or somewhreelse that the netraid controller is the "first" scsi controller instead of the D5025A ???

thanks,
martin.