Netservers
1752795 Members
6204 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP NetServer LC 2000 Memory Problems

Daniel A. Hansen

HP NetServer LC 2000 Memory Problems

How can I get new memory to work with my server? I've tried a number of mfrs, all who say the memory is specified for the LC 2000.
I've got the two 128 MB DIMMs that came with the system and they work fine. It's when I try to expand that any new memory won't work.
5 REPLIES 5
e4services
Honored Contributor

HP NetServer LC 2000
Maximum memory: 4096MB
Standard memory: 128MB removable
Slots/banks: 4 (4 banks of 1)
SDRAM, PC133, CL=3, ECC, Registered
Having said that, you say you "tried a number of mfrs", which ones?
You say "any new memory won't work", please define "won't work" by describing the actual symptom when you power up with the increased memory.
Blank Screen, no BIOS POST?
A sysem error message about the new memory?
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Daniel A. Hansen

About 2 years ago, when the server was NT4, I tried adding memory that CDW claimed would work with the computer. CDW was working directly with "Simple" to make sure we had the right memory. At that point, when I added the memory, the computer would not boot (I don't remember the particular screen).
We tried memory from Viking as well... seems to me the computer would boot, but would lock up when we started the primary application for the server (COLD Report Storage).

This time, I put in new memory from Paramount (a company dedicated to keeping computers like the Netserver running and updated). This was HP memory with the p/n D8266A. The mfr's sticker reads as follows:
Hyundai Korea 01
PC133R-333-542
HYM71V32C735 AT4-H-AA
256MB Sync 133MHz CL3 ECC

I put in this memory the same time I put in a brand new SCSI HD with which I'm staging Win2003 Server.
Booting the computer with the CD, the install would start... get to the point of "setup is copying files" and freeze.. no keyboard input.

When I took the new memory out.. it's loading fine (just very slow).

My next step (after OS is up and running) is to pull the current memory out, put in the new memory and see what I get with a boot.

Any other ideas?
e4services
Honored Contributor

Sure sounds like bad memory, doesn't it? So the part you got from Paramount has the HP stricker D8266A on the piece and it caused the machine to hang during setup. Sounds like that piece is bad. Also may be the slot it is in.
One solution would be to procure a new, single piece, of 1GB ($460) and put it in the slot you know is working with the original. I know it is money and everyone is pinching, but running 2003 without at least a GB is pinching the OS and putting strain on the hard Drive subsystem to use paging.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Daniel A. Hansen

There are four DIMM slots.. the current 256 MB (which is working) is derived from two 128s.
If I discover that one or both of the remaining 2 slots are bad, does the NetServer support mixed sizes if I go with a 1GB stick?

I thought most computers wanted matched pairs of DIMMs if possible..
e4services
Honored Contributor

The system board is laid out with 4 Slots or banks, and configured as 4 banks of 1. This means that pairs are not required or internleaving. Only For interleaving, DIMMs must be populated in identical pairs.

At this point I would do some monkeying around to pinpoint the problem. Moving good memory to the other slot, see if it still works. Then the new memory to know working slots and remove the 128s.
But like I said, I would go with at least a GB for smooth operation.
Hot Swap Hard Drives