5549 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Netserver LPr BIOS Update

Zsolt Forizs

HP Netserver LPr BIOS Update

BIOS Update Utility gives me an error:
"Error. sdredit.exe failed."
I'm using original HP Update Utilities, and have the same message with the download version too.
Have somebody any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi
probably you have aerror code at boot time with managment error, this usuali indicate a fault in the MMC module.
try to reset managment by disconecting all cable from server (power, lan, modems, printers,scsi,monitor) wait for two minuts, then reconnect and reboot.
if this didn't solve, probably you need to replace the raiser board on your server.
bye
marino
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

1. What BIOS version is currently running on the LPr? What version are you trying to upgrade to?
2. Are there any errors during POST (without trying to boot from the diskette)?
3. Is the server running normally at this time?
4. What is the firmware revision for the MMC (Mangement Controller)? You can see this on POST. Or, if you have NT or Windows 2000 installed, use HP Instant TopTools to capture all the version info.
To install Instant TopTools, go to the following web site:

http://www.hp.com/toptools/download/server_agents.html

Under other hp management tools, select: Instant TopTools 5.0x 5.x (Eng.)

The downloaded exe file will launch an install wizard. Install and run the program. This program provides extensive configuration information, as well as alerts and error messages. A report can also be generated from Instant TopTools.

Reply if you have any more questions!
Jeremy Apps

In response to Terry's reply, we have a rack of HP NetServer LPr servers. Five of these servers display the exact same symptoms when I have endeavoured to update the BIOS.

In answer to the questions:

1. What BIOS version is currently running on the LPr? What version are you trying to upgrade to?

BIOS Version: 4.06.31

Upgrade to: 4.06.35

2. Are there any errors during POST (without trying to boot from the diskette)?

Two errors:

0081-51 NetServer Management Controller SelfTest Failure

0090-64 DIMM Management Failure

(This is the reason why I want to upgrade the BIOS because a server reboot causes the server to stall at this point which makes remote server reboots impractical.)

3. Is the server running normally at this time?

Once booted (with manual intervention), the server operates without complications.

4. What is the firmware revision for the MMC (Mangement Controller)?

Management Fireware: C.03.02

I am going to install the TopTools as suggested to hopefully provide some further technical details, however, I hope that there is a resolution to the problem without having to resort to hardware replacement.

Any further advise would be greatly appreciated.
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

The SDRedit error on netservers is directly tied to 0080-0090 errors on POST. You don't have to show those errors on POST to fail the BIOS flash. Try the latest BIOS from http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/swindex.pl?p=hpnetserve10993&l=en&c=BIOS Start the BIOS Flash process by unplugging the server for 2-5 minutes, Remove PCI cards as they can interfere with the BIOS flash (especially a toptools card) If you still fail the Bios flash with the SDRedit error after the above steps there is a MMC flash file available that flashes just the MMC fw and is usually successful where the BIOS flash is not. Then you follow the MMC flash with a bios flash and the error should be resolved. If the MMC flash fails then it is a true failure of the MMC and as was pointed out in the very first post the i/o riser of the LPr is the correct board to replace for the LPr.
Lets Roll!

Hi there,

The following instructions are most likely to solve the issue

-create a BIOS diskette (with the most recent BIOS version fo the LPr from the www.hp.com and drivers)
-make a DOS boot floppy (also available from the web http://support.micronpc.com)

-boot from the DOS boot floppy
-after DOS boot, switch to the BIOS diskette
run the following 2 commands from the BIOS diskette (in this order);

flashmmc lprra_us.bin

(no interactive screen; the upgrade takes place in the background, wait for the prompt to re-appear)

sdredit -w -f list_lpr.sdr

(interactive)

-reboot the server with the BIOS diskette still in the floppy disk drive
-let it run the complete upgrade script on the BIOS diskette.
life is sweet, life is bitter...
Kris Dahl

Diego's solution was right on the nose.