5012 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Installing Win2k on HP-E60

PDarmanin
Frequent Advisor

Installing Win2k on HP-E60

Hi there,

I am trying to install win2k on this server and I think that I have tried 10 times all in vain.
after Disabling the ACPI by pressing F7 before copying files the server reboots, continues to install and requesting information; i.e. lenience and Server name but just after that the system is reporting "hardware Malfunction" and it halts there.
Server has 4.06.26PN Bios and Adaptec AIC-7895 v2.11.HP bios. I have checked the site of hp for any bios updates or Adaptec drivers but could only find the netraid driver.

Any idea plz?

Thanks

Pierre
4 REPLIES 4
amhakassa
Honored Contributor

Re: Installing Win2k on HP-E60

Hi Pierre,

According to this documentation you should be able to install the windows 2000 on this E 60 machine with the BIOS ver you currently have

http://isupport2.hp.com/Solution.asp?id=IS2706

How about you try to reflash the BIOS to the same version and clear the CMOS after you reflash the BIOS

You can get the Latest BIOS (basically the same ver as you have) in this link

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?locale=en_USтМй=English&pnameOID=18330&prodSeriesId=45937&prodTypeId=15351&basePartNum=ns1765&locBasepartNum=ns1765en&os=Cross+OS&tech=BIOS

TO CLEAR CONFIGURATION (CMOS):
1. Turn off power to the NetServer and remove the cover and the cooling duct/cover.
2. Move switch 4 on the system board (labeled "Clear Configuration") to the ON position.
3. Turn on power to the NetServer. A message displays indicating that the configuration has been cleared.
4. Turn off power to the NetServer.
5. Return switch 4 on the system board to the OFF position.
6. Replace the cooling duct/cover and the cover.
7. Turn on power to the NetServer. The message Incorrect PC Configuration Option ROM error is displayed.
8. Press [F2] to run the Setup program when appears.
9. Make any configuration changes that are required.
10. Choose the Exit option and save the changes to save the configuration and exit the Setup program.

Another thing to consider, if you have a network, is :
Certain noisy network environments may cause some HP NetServer E55/E60├в s embedded NIC to be unstable. This network instability may cause network disconnects, lost data packets, system hangs, or slow data transfers.

Therefore, disabled the embedded NIC and use a standalone NIC, such as the D5013A or equivalent

If all this not a help run the HP diag tool on you server to see what part of the hard ware is malfunctioned. You can download the HP Diagtools from this link :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?locale=en_USтМй=English&pnameOID=18330&prodSeriesId=45937&prodTypeId=15351&basePartNum=ns2071&locBasepartNum=ns2071en&os=Cross+OS&tech=Diagnostic

Hope this will help

Regards
Amha Ka
PDarmanin
Frequent Advisor

Hi Amha Ka,

thanks for your reply. i already have runned the Diagnostic tests which all passed. i will clear the cmos and read the documentation and let u know.

regards

Pierre
PDarmanin
Frequent Advisor

Hi Amha Ka,
i have found the problem. it was one of the 3 ram modules there where installed in the server. the funniest thing is that the server was working fine on win NT and never reported errors from the HP Diagnostic. but any way thanks for your help.

Pierre
amhakassa
Honored Contributor

Hi Pierre,

I am glad you finally got what the problem is

Cheers
Amha Kassa