5997 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LC3 DIMM Led's blink

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bob Loeffen

LC3 DIMM Led's blink

On one of our LC3's the DIMM Led's blink in a 2 at a time modus.
I tried to run diagnostics and looked both online and in the manuals we got but found nothing.
Still it looks like working fine most of the time but there are undefined problems now and then.
Anyone an idea and even better, a solution ?

thnx
Bob
5 REPLIES 5
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Hallo Bob,

best location to look at would be the SEL (System Event Log) which is a hardware log.
If you can bring the server down then you can look at this log via the Navigator cd utilities.

Even better if you have i.e. Windows running and have the TopTools server management agents installed or Instant TopTools then you can lookup that log online and check it for some errors related to memory.

The operating system event log in Windows would also show you some events if the management agents are installed, if not you have to use the offline method and use the Navigator cd utilities or utility partition utilities (if available)

HTH

Kris
e4services
Honored Contributor

Are they non-HP DIMMs? I seem to remember that error. It is not fatal so the server works.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
amhakassa
Honored Contributor

Hi Bob,

Good advice by kris. However, if you are not running Windows or if you don't have a navigator cd you will have the option to download the DOS ver Hardware Event Log Utility from this link (from which you can creat a bootable floppy and boot from it to see the hardware event log)
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?locale=en_USтМй=English&pnameOID=15811&prodSeriesId=50440&prodTypeId=15351&basePartNum=COL3415&locBasepartNum=ns-11635-1&os=Cross+OS&tech=Utility
Download it and creat a bootable floppy off of the download by doubl clicking the downloaded file, then boot from that floppy and you should be able to see the hardware event log from there.

By the way if you have windows OS and you don't know where to download the Instant Top Tool Ustility, here is the link
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=15811&locale=en_US&taskId=135&submit.y=6тМй=en&cc=us&submit.x=4&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=50440&swEnvOID=226#1124
This one can be installed in your system and be used to look at the hardware evenlog and more (You don't even need to down the server if you are using this)

Good Luck

Amha Kassa
amhakassa
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Bob,

Even Better, here is a document that explains DIMM blink on LC 3
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpn11635/lpn11635.pdf

Here you will find the DIMM slot blink codes

I hope this will resolve your issue

Good Lucvk again

Amha Kassa
Bob Loeffen

Sorry for replying so late.
I was outside for a longer period.

Thank you all, and especially Amhakassa, for yr help. The pdf manual explained it all.

One of the DIMM Sockets was bad.

rgds
Bob