1753894 Members
7585 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LC3 Hot Swap Drive Degraded?

Dan Whittle
Advisor

LC3 Hot Swap Drive Degraded?

I have an old LC3 and it looks like one of the drives in the RAID has failed, on boot it says Drive Degraded. First, is there any way to stop the beeping?! The system is running, so I'm guessing it's mirrored. My question is, it has D6019A SCSI drives, I have a spare D4289A, which looks close, just a different form factor. Will that work in the LC3?
Thank you
4 REPLIES 4

Re: LC3 Hot Swap Drive Degraded?

Hello,
at first, there is a way to stop the beeping. If you want to stop it permanently enter the NetRAID Controller BIOS . Then there are two options for alarm control. Either it is in the main menu or under Objects -> Adapter -> Alarm Control.
You can then analyze the problem more detailed under Objects -> Physical Drive. One of the drives should be in the status FAILED.
If you want to know which RAID-Level your logical drive has you can look under Objects -> Logical Drive -> "Your Logical Drive" -> Properties. In the first line you can see the RAID-Level.
Your D6019A and D4289A are both 10k rpm 9.1GB Ultra SCSI-2 disks. Therefore i think they should work together. If you want to be absolutely sure call your HP-Support.
Regards,
Tobias Winkelmann
e4services
Honored Contributor

The "Degraded" is in reference to the Logical Drive created by the RAID controller from the drives n the group that form the RAID Array. The logical drive is considered "Degreaded" because an error was found. Yes, this could be a "failed" drive, but it could be just a back sector was found.
By running your RAID manager either from the OS, if installed, or from the BIOS at boot, you can identify the problem and drive. YOu can initiate a Rebuild to try and correct the error without replacement, or you can repalce the drive and also Rebuild the Array's logical drive redundency.
It has been implied that there are only 2 drives, therefore you would be an a "Mirrored" set up. If there are 3 then most probably a RAID 5. In any event, these are pretty old drives that you have and if the data is critical, it might be a good time to replacing all the drives with new more modern drives.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Dan Whittle
Advisor

Thanks for the responses! I have to run the netraid bios at boot, so I can't do it until this evening. There are 3 drives in the server, the failed one is making clicking sounds, so I assume it has failed completely, but the server is running like nothing happened. Can a raid 5 with one drive down do that?

Hello,
if you have no downtime for your server you can replace the disk online. But it would be a good idea to observe the controller with an online utility. Under Windows you need the NetRAID Assistent. under NetWare you need megamgr.
How many disks can fail witout having dataloss depends on your RAID-Configuration. I guess you have three disks.
case 1: you have one RAID-5 with three disks => 1 disk can fail.
case 2: you have a RAID-1 and a hotspare => two disks can fail if the rebuild was successful.
Regards,
Tobias Winkelmann